Following the announcement of the elimination of football, bowling, and rifle at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the UAB National Alumni Society (NAS), representing approximately 11,000 active alumni, engaged the Administration in conversation and debate regarding the viability and importance of the programs to our alumni, current and prospective students, faculty, staff, and the broader community. Through the process of engagement, dialog, and productive debate, the Administration agreed to an independent feasibility study conducted by a Task Force headed by the NAS. The Task Force also formed a fundraising subcommittee to gauge public and private financial support for the programs.
The Task Force worked diligently and selected College Sport Solutions to perform the feasibility study. The Task Force publicly released the CSS report on Monday, May 18, 2015. After careful review of the report and the preliminary fundraising support, the UAB NAS calls upon the UAB Administration to reinstate football, bowling, and rifle. The report clearly shows that the programs are feasible at a level that enables UAB to compete for C-USA championships and post season opportunities with the current level of institutional support, combined with the public and private support that has been and continues to be established by the Task Force Fundraising Subcommittee. Not only are the programs financially viable with the combined institutional and public/private support, they are vitally important to current and prospective students, our faculty and staff, and our community. Collectively, these sports are financially supportable and they are essential.
As the collective voice of UAB Alumni, the NAS is grateful for the opportunity to lead the review of the initial decision to eliminate the programs and for the opportunity to make a substantial financial commitment of $500,000 over 5 years to reinstate the football, rifle, and bowling programs. We are equally grateful to the Task Force for their still ongoing work for our University. GO BLAZERS!
On May 5, 2015, the UAB National Alumni Society Board of Directors met for a Special Called Meeting by the general membership. During the meeting, the focus transitioned to recent changes in the NAS Bylaws. After listening to the membership concerning the new election process, the Board felt it was once again necessary to amend the Bylaws to reflect the membership's opinions and voice. Given that, a new ballot was designed with the changes, and will be mailed to all current active members that are eligible to vote on May 19, 2015.
Signed ballots must be received in the Alumni Affairs Office by Tuesday, June 16, 2015.
|President||Dr. Printella Ridgeway-Thomas|
|Immediate Past President||Mr. Wes Smith|
|President-Elect||Dr. Raymond Thompson|
|Vice Presidents||Mr. Hafiz Chandiwala|
|Mr. Steve Foster|
|Ms. Nancy Fouad Carey|
|Ms. Blanche Lowery|
|Treasurer||Mr. Mike Rowe|
If Approved, the terms of the following slate of Directors will expire in 2018 (View bios HERE):
|Ms. Sally Bradley|
|Ms. Margie Gaulden Gilbert|
|Mr. Scott McLeod|
|Mr. Sam Miller|
|Mr. Scott Moran|
|Dr. Philip Musa|
|Dr. Mazi Rasulnia|
|Dr. Shilpa Register|
|Dr. Brian Sims|
|Mr. Robert Smith|
|Ms. Tammi Thomas|
*Members have the opportunity to vote for two write-in candidates as long as the write-in candidates meet the following required criteria to serve as a Director:
(1) be graduates of UAB and an active Lifetime Members or the Society or willing to become a Lifetime Member prior to being elected (a complete list of Life Members can be found HERE),
(2) have demonstrated a strong interest in UAB and the Socity,
(3) be persons of competence who have demonstrated leadership qualities, and
(4) have an interest in the role alumni can play in the advancement of higher education.
In an effort to fulfill the charge given to the UAB Athletics Assessment Task Force to conduct an independent review of the sustainability of the football, bowling, and rifle programs, the Task Force subcommittee of Public/Private Support will continue to be assessing donor interest over a five-year period. The meeting over-viewed the ongoing plan to secure the financial resources necessary and now provides an opportunity for the Birmingham community to be involved in the subcommittee's efforts. As verified at the meeting, these five-year pledges will indicate the level of support necessary.
Those interested in making a pledge to support the sustainability of football, bowling, and rifle are encouraged to by clicking here. In the event the purpose of the pledge is unable to be met because the athletic programs remain discontinued, the financial agreement has the option to be null and void. Please complete the form and return it to:
Chair of the Athletic Assessment Task Force by email or mail: 3405 4th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35222
Chair of the Task Force Subcommittee for Public/Private Support by email or mail: Nowlin and Associates, 2718 20th S #100, Birmingham, AL 35209
The UAB National Alumni Society Board of Directors Listens to the Voices of the Members of the May 5, 2015 Called MeetingA group of seventy-five members met with the current NAS Board to discuss three issues related to bringing football, rifle and bowling back to UAB. However, the discussion turned quickly and passionately to a bigger issue of recent bylaw changes of the NAS. Although the current Board was not obligated to add the topic to the agenda, the board took a brief fifteen minute break and chose to do so.
After hearing from the members, the NAS Board of Directors took into consideration all of the comments and discussion to the formerly approved Bylaws on April 13, 2015. The following amendments were made:
1) Article VI, Section 2, Elections - will now read. “Elections on the proposed slate presented by the Nominating Committee shall be held through a mailed ballot which will include the opportunity for two write-in candidates, sent out at least thirty days prior to the meeting to all active alumni eligible to vote according to the Bylaws, to be returned to the Alumni Affairs Office at least ten days prior to the Annual Meeting. The candidates with the majority of votes for the number of vacant Director positions will be elected, as long as all meet the criteria required to serve. Officers will not have a write-in candidate option due to the criteria required in this capacity.” Candidate Bios and Life Members will be available on the website at www.uab.edu/alumni.
NOTE: For the 2015-16 Elections, a new ballot will be issued and all previously received votes will be null and void.
2) Article VII, Section 2. Special Meeting - will return to its original form stating, “ A special meeting shall be held on the request of the Board or the Executive Committee or on petition of fifty active members. The Board shall decide the exact time and place of the meeting and shall allow the Executive Director sufficient time to send a notice to each active member at least ten days prior to the date of the meeting. No business other than that stated in the call for the special meeting shall be conducted at such meeting.”
The Board wishes to thank all members who attended tonight and offered candid feedback. We are one voice, the voice of alumni and together we can make a difference!