UAB School of Nursing Celebrates Alumni at Annual Dinner
The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing, along with the Nursing Chapter of the UAB National Alumni Society, hosted the School's annual Alumni Night Dinner and Awards Ceremony.
The dinner provided an opportunity for alumni to network and reconnect with fellow classmates and faculty, and it featured an archives display of UAB School of Nursing memorabilia. It also paid tribute to a number of outstanding alumni.
- Nancy B. Moody, Ph.D., was honored as the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient.
- Kelly A. Goudreau, Ph.D., RN, ACNS-BC, FAAN, was honored with the Marie L. O'Koren Alumni Award for Innovation.
- Jason O. Hitchcock, BSN, MBA, Christy D. Holshouser, FNP, BSN, RN, and Cheri L. Plasters, BSN, CCRN, were honored with the Jo Ann Barnett Award for Compassionate Care.
- Lindsey R. Laminack, BSN, RN, was honored with the Young Alumni Merit Award.
Four from UAB School of Nursing Named Academy Fellows
One faculty member and three alumni from the UAB School of Nursing have been named Fellows of the American Academy of Nursing, joining more than 60 other Fellows affiliated with the UAB School of Nursing.
The 2014 inductees are:
- Cynthia S. Selleck, Ph.D., RN
- Marsha Howell Adams, Ph.D., RN, CNE, ANEF
- Diane Von Ah, Ph.D., RN
- Marietta P. Stanton, Ph.D., RN, NEA-BC, CCM, CMAC
The four are among 168 nurse leaders selected by the American Academy of Nursing for induction as Fellows during the Academy's 2014 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference in Washington, D.C.
UAB School of Nursing Awarded Prestigious R01 Grant to Study Infants Born Preterm
June Cho, PhD, assistant professor in the UAB School of Nursing, has been awarded a five-year, $1.72 million R01 grant from the National Institute of Child Health and Development for her proposal "Testosterone and Cortisol Levels in Infant Health and Development."
The grant will enable Cho and her research team to address the health and developmental problems that result when infants are born preterm - gestational age shorter than 34 weeks - and at a very low birth weight (VLBW; birth weight less than 1,500 grams).
UAB School of Nursing Participates in First Annual Thank-a-thon
UAB School of Nursing students participated in the first annual Thank-a-thon on November 17, 2014.
Ten BSN students volunteered to call donors who contributed to the Annual Fund over the past fiscal year. More than 400 calls were made throughout the day.
The School's Offices of Development and Alumni Relations and Student Affairs organized the event and plan to continue it each year.