Generous gifts from the UAB National Alumni Society will be used for the purpose of creating an endowed student award fund at The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Spendable earnings from the UAB National Alumni Society Employee Endowed Scholarship fund will be used to assist exceptional incoming freshman who are the children of UAB faculty and staff that are active members of the UAB National Alumni Society.
The following guidelines will be used in administering and making awards from the UAB National Alumni Society Employee Endowed Scholarship.
- Student must be admitted to UAB.
- Must be a first-time entering freshman. The scholarship is not open to transfer students or graduate school students.
- Students must attend UAB immediately following graduation from high school.
- Demonstrated leadership, extra-curricular activity and community service during high school.
- Parent must be an active member of the UAB National Alumni Society and be currently employed by UAB on a full-time basis. (Preference will be given on the basis of number of years of membership in the UAB National Alumni Society.)
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 in order to keep the scholarship.
- Preference will be given to students with an ACT score of 22 or higher.
- Students must be enrolled full time.
- Students must include a 250-350 word, typed essay that answers the following question: “How do you plan to use your UAB degree to improve society in everyday life?"
- And completed application must be received. Application can be downloaded HERE.
The selection committee shall consider academic performance, leadership, and extra-curricular activity in making their selection. The committee shall determine the relative weight given to each criterion. There are no restrictions to applicants based on sex, race, nationality, country of origin, physical disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
This is a one-time non-renewable scholarship valued at $1,000 per year. Funds will be disbursed prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding their status after the selection committee has met.