Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., an alumna of The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and current member of the Board of Directors for the UAB National Alumni Society, is making generous gifts for the purpose of creating an endowed scholarship at the University. Spendable earnings from the Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., Nation Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship will be used to assist deserving students who are enrolled at UAB.
UAB is extremely proud of the diverse nature of its campus with great representation from people of many ethnic backgrounds, each of whom brings a different and important perspective to the classroom and to campus life as a while. It is the wish of Dr. Thomas to support this diverse campus culture by supporting African-American students from Alabama’s Black Belt, whole population is underrepresented on our campus, in out state, and in advanced professionals.
The following guidelines will be used in administering and making awards from the Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., National Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship:
- Applicants for the Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., National Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship must be currently enrolled in, or admitted to, a degree granting program at UAB.
- First preference will be given to entering first –year undergraduate students who are African-American and who are from the Black belt region of Alabama, including the counties of Barbour, Bullock, Butler, Choctaw, Crenshaw, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Montgomery, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Russell, Sumter, and Wilcox.
- Applicants should demonstrate solid academic promise and have earned a score of at least a 24 on the ACT (or equivalent alternative college entrance exam) and an overall 3.2 grade point average in coursework completed prior to the time of application.
- Applicants for this scholarship must also demonstrate financial need as determined by the UAB Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have demonstrated community service.
- After applicants have been pre-selected by the Office of Financial Aid, applicants will be required to submit an essay by the announced deadline which will address how a degree from UAB will benefit the area where the applicant was raised.
B. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
- Applications for consideration should be submitted to the UAB Office of Student Financial Aid by the announced deadline.
- Selection of scholarship recipient(s) will be made by the UAB National Alumni Society scholarship selection committee in accordance with these guidelines.