Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., an alumna of The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and current member of the Board of Directors for the UAB National Alumni Society, is making generous gifts for the purpose of creating an endowed scholarship at the University. Spendable earnings from the Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., National Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship will be used to assist deserving students who are enrolled at UAB.
UAB is extremely proud of the diverse nature of its campus with great representation from people of many ethnic backgrounds, each of whom brings a different and important perspective to the classroom and to campus life. It is the wish of Dr. Thomas to support this diverse campus culture by supporting African-American students from Alabama’s Black Belt, whose population is underrepresented on our campus, in our state, and in advanced professionals.
The following guidelines will be used in administering and making awards from the Printella Ridgeway-Thomas, M.D., National Alumni Society Endowed Scholarship:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in or admitted to a degree-granting program at UAB.
- First preference will be given to entering first-year undergraduate students who are African-American and who are from the Black Belt region of Alabama, including the counties of Barbour, Bullock, Butler, Choctaw, Crenshaw, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Montgomery, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Russell, Sumter, and Wilcox.
- Applicants should demonstrate solid academic promise and achievement and have earned a score of at least a 24 on the ACT (or equivalent alternative college entrance exam) and an overall 3.2 grade point average in coursework completed prior to the time of application.
- Applicants for this scholarship must also demonstrate financial need as determined by the UAB Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have demonstrated community service.
- Applications for consideration should be submitted to the appropriate University office by the announced deadline, and selection of scholarship recipients will be made by a selection committee in accordance with these guidelines. The University will be solely responsible for the final selection of the recipients.
- And complete the scholarship application, and essay by the deadline. Applications can be found online at UAB BSmart.
The selection committee will select the recipient based on the above guidelines. The committee will include representatives from the National Alumni Society, and the donor(s). Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding their status after the selection committee has met.
This is an annual award and is not renewable. Recipients of this scholarship are not eligible to apply for this scholarship in subsequent years. The NAS will award one one-time $1,500 scholarship. This scholarship will be applied toward the recipient’s tuition and fees. Any funds in excess of the amount required for tuition and fees may be disbursed to the student for books, supplies, room and board, or other school-related expenses.