The Student Relations Committee established a new scholarship endowment in 1994 to honor the National Alumni Society’s Distinguished Alumni Award Recipients. Funds for the establishment of this endowment were generated by the NAS’s special fundraising events and other gifts. Each year, a one-time scholarship of $4,000 is awarded to a student in honor of the recipient and must be enrolled in the school or course of study of the recipient.
Mrs. Gillian Goodrich received her Masters of Art in History in 1975. She has spent a lifetime with an unwavering commitment to bettering the Birmingham, Alabama community, and, more specifically, Birmingham-area women and was presented the 2015 Distinguished Alumni Award for her outstanding professional and community accomplishments and her continued interest in UAB.
- Must have demonstrated leadership abilities while at UAB.
- Must have demonstrated community involvement.
- Must provide two letters of recommendation
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Must have the possibility of becoming an active and supporting alumnus/na.
- Completed application from the department liaison must be received by the deadline. Applications can be downloaded HERE.
The Office of Alumni Affairs will work with the department or area in the field of study of the current distinguished alumnus/na. The contact in the school will collect the applications and work with the dean and the recipient of the award. Six students will be forwarded to the Office of Alumni Affairs and interviewed by a panel of UAB alumni, faculty and staff.
The recipients of this $4,000 award will receive a non-renewable, one-time disbursement at the beginning of the fall semester for tuition and fess only. No cash disbursements are allowed.