The Joseph F. Volker UAB National Alumni Society Scholarship was established through generous gifts from the UAB National Alumni Society to be used for the purpose of creating a sponsored student award at The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). The Scholarship will be used to assist deserving students who are enrolled at UAB.
The following guidelines will be used in administering and making awards from the Joseph F. Volker UAB National Alumni Society Scholarship.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities during college enrollment, either academic, extra-curricular, or job oriented.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in all course work completed.
- Have proof of full-time enrollment as determined by the registrar's office.
- Be a full-time sophomore, junior, senior, graduate or transfer student.
- Compose and submit a 500-600 word, typed statement that outlines "what are your career goals and why did you choose your particular field of study."
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a person who knows the applicant well and can comment on their academic and career goals.
- And application must be submitted to the UAB National Alumni Society House, 1301 10th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294. Applications can be downloaded when available.
The selection committee will select the recipient based on the above guidelines. The committee will include representatives from the National Alumni Society, and the donor(s). Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding their status after the selection committee has met.
These shall be one-time awards, with the dollar amount and number of awards being based on the available funds each year. The amount of the award is $3500 per student.