2013-14 APPLICATIONS NOW AVAILABLE:
Mr. and Ms. UAB Scholarship Application 2013
Mandatory Interest Meetings
All applicants MUST attend one interest meeting. Each session will be held at the UAB Alumni House, 1301 10th Avenue South (next to Snoozy's). Sessions will be held on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 4:00 p.m., Monday, September 30, 2013 at 10:00 a.m., and Wednesday, October 2, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
General Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants/winner must be enrolled at UAB as an undergraduate student during Spring and Fall terms following their selection so as to fulfill their obligation as Mr. or Ms. UAB. The $2,500 award will not be applied to the winners’ accounts until spring semester—no exceptions. Only half will be disbursed in spring with the remaining portion being disbursed the following fall. 1st alternates will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship each that will also be disbursed in two payments. Half will be disbursed for spring and half for fall.
- Applicants should demonstrate a record of leadership and active participation in extracurricular activities such as: student government association, service or special interest organizations, fraternities or sororities, publications, honorary societies, religious organizations, athletics, university committees, or the creative and performing arts. One need not be involved in all of the above, but there must be some indication of overall leadership ability and exceptional performance in one or more areas.
- Community activities are also considered by the Selection Committee when evaluating extracurricular participation, although, university related activities are accorded primary importance.
- GPA of 2.5 is required.
- Part-time as well as full-time students are eligible.
- Only undergraduate students are eligible.
Mr. and Ms. UAB – Responsibilities and Requirements
- Acting as an ex-officio student representative on the Alumni Society Board of Directors. This requires attendance at the Board of Directors meetings held every other month.
- Acting as an official representative of the UAB student body when called upon.
- Acting as a spokesperson for the UAB National Alumni Society and the UAB Student Alumni Society to the undergraduate student population.
- Active participation in the Student Alumni Society as the Presidents (Mr. and Ms. UAB recipients) and Vice Presidents (Mr. and Ms. UAB 1st Alternates).
- Lead the Student Alumni Society meetings, plan events and promote the Student Alumni Society on campus.
- Assisting with the Alumni Admission Program and other programs of the Office of Undergraduate Admission when called upon.
- Assisting with any programs in the area of Student Activities when called upon.
- Maintaining current information on the Alumni Society bulletin board in the University Center.
- Creative design will be expected to change throughout the year.
- Assisting with the publicity for the next Mr. & Ms. UAB.
- Participating in UAB Homecoming ceremonies the following year.
- Mr. and Ms. UAB recipients will serve up to 16 volunteer office hours at the Alumni House per semester.
- Mr. and Ms. UAB 1st Alternates will serve up to 8 volunteer office hours at the Alumni House per Semester.