During his 26-year career with UAB, Mr. Murell worked tirelessly to increase alumni participation in University life and to promote membership in the UAB National Alumni Society. Following his retirement in 2003, the Board of Directors voted to name these significant scholarships in his honor as a way of encouraging children of UAB graduates to follow in their parent's footsteps by attending the University.
- Student must be admitted to UAB.
- Must be an entering freshman. The scholarship is not open to transfer students or graduate school students.
- Completed application must be received. Application can be downloaded HERE.
- Students must attend UAB immediately following graduation from high school.
- Demonstrated leadership, extra-curricular activity and community service during high school.
- Parent must hold an undergraduate, graduate or professional degree from UAB and be an active member of the UAB National Alumni Society. Preference will be given on the basis of number of years of membership in the UAB National Alumni Society.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 in order to keep the scholarship.
- Preference will be given to students with an ACT score of 25 or higher.
- Students must be enrolled on a full-time basis.
Students must include a 250-350 word typed essay that answers the following question: “Why did you decide to attend UAB and how will your decision to attend UAB help you achieve your career goals?”
Selection & Awarding
The selection committee shall consider academic performance, leadership, and career goals in making their selection. The committee shall determine the relative weight given to each criterion. There are no restrictions to applicants based on sex, race, nationality, country of origin, physical disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding their status after the selection committee has met.
This is a renewable scholarship valued at $8000 ($2000 per year). Funds will be disbursed prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters each year, for up to four years as long as requirements are fulfilled. $1000 will be disbursed each semester (fall/spring only).