The BBVA Compass Mortgage Financial Services Endowed Award in Graduate Education was established through generous gifts from the UAB National Alumni Society to be used for the purpose of creating an endowed graduate student award fund at The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Spendable earnings from the BBVA Compass Mortgage Financial Services Endowed Award in Graduate Education fund will be used to provide financial assistance to exceptional students who are enrolled in a UAB graduate program.
The following guidelines will be used in administering and making awards from the BBVA Compass Mortgage Financial Services Endowed Award in Graduate Education.
- be currently enrolled in, or admitted to, a degree-granting program in the Graduate School at UAB for Fall 2016,
- demonstrate solid academic achievement and have earned at least a grade point average of 3.2 in coursework completed prior to the time of application,
- complete the scholarship application and return it to the office of the Graduate School Dean in Lister Hill Library, by the announced deadline.
- seek two letters of recommendation from individuals who are acquainted with the student’s research and academic achievements
- compose a 2-page essay on the topic “What I have accomplished to date in terms of my scholarly activity as a graduate student at UAB, and why the scholarly contributions I have made are important.”
(Note: Applicants should describe scholarly contributions in their respective field of endeavor. All local presentations, as well as presentations at professional meetings and formal publications of any kind should be documented.)
Selection & Awarding
The selection committee will select the recipient based on the student’s academic merit, letters of recommendation and essay. There are no restrictions to applicants based on sex, race, nationality, country of origin, physical disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Applicants will be notified via letter regarding their status after the selection committee has met. This is an annual award valued at $2,500 that may be reapplied for in subsequent years as long as the eligibility criteria are met.
Graduate students apply through the graduate school or can be completed here.