These images may be protected under The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The images below may not be copied and may not be used without the written permission of the UAB Archives. All rights reserved.

Refer to the Policies tab above for additional information on copyright and reproductions.


Select thumbnail for a larger image.

1712 MatchThe Poor Little Matchgirl, 1988.  The world premiere of The Poor Little Matchgirl was on December 16, 1988, at UAB.  The musical by Amos D. Carroll was based on the story by Hans Christian Andersen, and it was produced by UAB Town and Gown Theatre, with James F. Hatcher as producer and director.

ID:  P45.2

1711 UHSONThe University Hospital School of Nursing, circa 1958.  On November 26, 1958, an open house served as the official dedication of a new home for the nursing school operated by University Hospital.  Prior to its acquisition, this building had been home to a beloved-Southside barbecue restaurant, known as Dr. Gus' BBQ.  The program's occupancy of the building was short-lived, however, as the building was demolished in 1966 to make way for the Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders [Sparks Center].

Image ID:  P16.1.1, #062
1710 Kscope1Kaleidoscope staff at work, 1970.  A new student newspaper, The Kaleidoscope, was first issued at the Birmingham campus on October 26, 1967.  Patrick Cather was the founding editor and Melinda Hidle was co-editor.  The newspaper first appeared as a monthly; currently the Kaleidoscope is a weekly paper available in print and online.

For more information, and for current issues of UAB's student paper, see the website of the Kaleidoscope at
http://www.uab.edu/studentmedia/kaleidoscope

Image ID:  P7.2.7, #1919
1709 FootballUAB versus Evangel, September 14, 1991.  The first home game for the UAB Blazers as an NCAA Division III team was held at Legion Field.  UAB lost to the Crusaders of Evangel College (Missouri).  The Blazers recorded their first home win on November 9, defeating Hastings College by a score of 9-7.

This month, UAB returned to the football field after an absence of two seasons.  The Blazers defeated the Bulldogs of Alabama A&M by the score of 38-7.  A record crowd of 45,212 attended the game at Legion Field on September 2, 2017. 

Go Blazers!!!

Image ID: P6.1
1708 Bball2Fran Sharp Merrell, August 1977.  Merrell, a former UAB student, became the first head coach of the Lady Blazer's basketball team in August 1977.  Prior to the establishment of an NCAA-approved athletics program, UAB had offered intramural and intercollegiate teams for its students.  The new Lady Blazers basketball team took the court for the first time on November 29, 1978.  Merrell coached at UAB until 1981.

Image ID:  P23.3

1707 CornerHillman Hospital Cornerstone, 1963

On July 12, 1902, cornerstones were laid for two new buildings, one for the Hillman Hospital and one for the adjacent Birmingham Medical College.  The Hillman Hospital was originally founded as a charity hospital in 1888 by a group of Birmingham women.  In 1897 the hospital's governing entity was incorporated by the State of Alabama; the names of these incorporators, the "Board of Lady Managers," appeared on the cornerstone of the new building.  Hillman Hospital was opened in July 1903; it remains today on the UAB campus and is known as the "Old Hillman Building."

Image ID:  P16.1.1, #0293
1706 CameraUAB’s new process camera, 1977. Paula Dennis demonstrates the largest camera on the UAB campus, the Print Plant’s new room-sized process camera. The camera used 32 x 32 inch film and a 40 x 50 inch copy board. The Print Plant was moved into a leased building on the 2100 block of 5th Avenue South in 1976 and the university acquired several new pieces of equipment to meet the production needs of the UAB community.

Image ID:  P7.4.1, #0165
1705 LHL
Lister Hill Library, circa 1997.  The expanded and renovated Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences was rededicated in formal ceremonies on May 2, 1997.  The original three-story building was opened in 1971 and had been named in honor of Lister Hill, Alabama's long-time member of Congress.

Image ID: P7.3.13

1704 McCallumPresident Charles A. McCallum, Jr., in his office, circa 1987.  Dr. McCallum became the third President of UAB in April 1987, and he served until September 1993.  He had previously served as Vice President for Health Affairs, as dean of the School of Dentistry, and as chair of the Department of Oral Surgery.  Dr. McCallum came to Birmingham in 1951 as an oral surgery intern and, in 1957, received an MD degree from the Birmingham medical school.  After he retired from UAB, McCallum served two terms as Mayor of Vestavia Hills.

Image ID: P7.2.1, #1082
1703 MHSSterne Library Renovation, March 1987. Before a major move of printed material could be accomplished, new shelving had to be installed by library staff, students, and volunteers. Over 200,000 library volumes were then moved onto the shelving in the new addition of the Mervyn H. Sterne Library so that the original portion of the building could be renovated.

Image ID: P23.3
1702 IBMMedical transcription, 1982.  Cecelia Williams, transcription supervisor, uses one of six new word processing terminals installed in the medical records office at University Hospital.  UAB was the first hospital in the state to use word processors for transcription.  Departmental staff used the new terminals to complete transcription services for UAB physicians.

Image ID:  P7.4.1, #2229
1701 Bartow Bartow Arena, 1997. On January 25, 1997, the arena was formally rededicated as the Gene Bartow Arena, renamed in honor of UAB’s founding Athletic Director and first coach of the men’s basketball team. Coach Bartow made the first shot in the building when the UAB Arena had originally been dedicated on May 19, 1988.

Image ID: #P23.3