sloan consortiumThe Sloan Consortium Workshop Series
UAB is an institutional member of the Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C). Sloan-C supports the collaborative sharing of knowledge and effective practices to improve online education in learning effectiveness, access, affordability for learners and providers, and student and faculty satisfaction.
All faculty and staff can access resources provided by the consortium, the most valuable of which is free registration for (a limited number of) professional development workshops designed to hone your online and blended learning capability.
How to Access Sloan-C:
- Click here to create a free user account.
- Once you complete your registration, you will be forwarded to your profile page.
- Enter your name and University of Alabama at Birmingham as your organization in the space provided (Please ensure that your enter our institution name precisely as it appears in the membership list).
- Go to the member resources page for details on the resources available to you.
To register for a workshop:
- Complete your member registration on the Sloan-C site
- Fill out the workshop registration form
- We will register you for the workshop and Sloan-C will forward workshop details to you directly via email.
- There are a limited number of free registrations for workshops available.
- Once exhausted, members can register for workshops at a discounted price.
- Sloan-C controls the registration procedure and sets its own enrollment caps, UAB ITIT cannot guarantee enrollment in any given workshop.
Additional resources available through UAB's Sloan-C membership include:
- Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (JALN)
- Quality Scorecard for evaluating your online programs
- Effective Practices and practitioner documents.
- Webinars on online higher education topics
- Sloan-C network
Typical workshop structure:
- 2 – 4 weeks in length
- primarily asynchronous – you determine the time and place of your participation.*
- Workshops require an estimated 5 - 10 hour commitment each week
*Some workshops may have a minimal synchronous (real-time) component using elluminate, a web conferencing program that you access online – no special software will be needed, but you will need to ensure that you have an up-to-date version of Java installed to download and access elluminate components. For those unable to attend a synchronous meeting, the live sessions are recorded and can be accessed online.