Past and current Bej lab students:
- Jonathan Southworth, M.S., 1995. Development of a conditional suicide system in bacteria for the containment of genetically engineered microorganisms released in the environment. (Medicine).
- Albert Lee Smith, M.S., 1996. Bacterial identification and characterization by DNA fingerprints. (Medicine).
- Amanda Jeffreys, M.S., 1997. Molecular mechanisms of cold adaptation in Salmonella typhimurium. (Louisiana State University, Shreveport, LA).
- Cynthia Brasher, M.S., 1997. Development of a multiplex PCR methods for detection of microbial pathogens in shellfish. (Bristol-Myers Squibb).
- Michael Vickery, M.S., 1997. PCR-based approaches for monitoring microbial pathogens in seafood. (Cepheid).
- Gitika Panicker:
- M.S., 2000. Cold adaptation and biodegradation of aromatic hydrocarbons by Antarctic microorganisms. (CDC, Atlanta, GA).
- Ph.D., 2003. Molecular analysis and detection of Vibrio vulnificus in its quiescent and active state. (CDC, Atlanta, GA).
- Greer Kaufman, M.S., 2001. Molecular methods for detection and characterization of Vibrio parahaemolyticus. (Co-Director: Dr. Angelo DePaola, U.S. Food and Drug Administration). (Microbiology, UAB).
- Madalina Mateescu, M.S., 2001. Response and tolerance of Vibrio cholerae O1 at cold temperatures. (Medicine).
- Michael Myers:
- M.S., 2001. Detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus O3:K6 in Gulf water. (USDA, FSIS, OPHS, LQAD, Athens, GA).
- Ph.D., 2002. Identification and characterization of serum-induced genes and development of a rapid detection of selected Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacterial species. (USDA, FSIS, OPHS, LQAD, Athens, GA).
- Lisa Blankinship, M.S., 2002. Molecular analysis, detection, and elimination of Vibrio parahaemolyticus from shellfish. (University of Tennessee at Martin, TN).
- Amy Rizvi, M.S., 2003. Induction of hns promoter during cold stress and real-time PCR detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus. (Eli Lilly).
- Linda Ward, M.S. 2005. (Department of Forensic Science). Detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in shellfish by use of multiplexed real-time PCR with TaqMan™ fluorescent probes. (Identigene, Inc., Houston, TX).
- Genola Burke, M.S., 2006. Taxonomic analysis of Antarctic biodegradative microorganisms and study of community profile by real-time PCR.
- Maulshree Gangwar, M.S., 2007. Containment of biodegradative microorganisms in Antarctic soil using conditional lethal systems. (Teacher in India).
- Nazia Mojib, Ph.D., 2008-present. Study of the cold adaptive mechanisms in Antarctic bacteria and investigation of the chemotherapeutic and antimicrobial potential of their pigments.
- Jonathan Huang, Ph.D. 2009-present. Study of microbial biodiversity in Antarctic Lakes and their biomedical applications.
- Amy Roach, M.S. (Plan II), 2010. Diversity, Biosynthesis, and Applications of Extremophile Eubacterial Pigments.
- Bixi Jian, Ph.D., 1993-1994.
- Chi Ying Lee. Ph.D., 1994-1995.
- Patrick Bryan. Ph.D., 1997-1998.
- Teruaki Nakatsuji. Ph.D., 2006.