Collat 4-Year Scholarships
Today's businesses require a workforce that has demonstrated success in working with people of diverse backgrounds. To meet this need, the Collat School of Business is committed to providing rewarding opportunities to students who come from a wide variety of backgrounds. The Collat School of Business is building upon UAB's success in attracting a diverse student body; in 2009 UAB ranked 3rd nationally in the Diverse Student Population Category by Princeton Review-the only Alabama university to score in this category. To broaden this foundation, the Collat School of Business provides opportunities to diverse students and is offering 20 scholarships to recruit high achieving, under-represented students through the Collat 4-Year Scholarship Program.
A. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
1. Applicants for the Collat 4-Year Scholarships must be admitted to the Collat School of Business as an incoming freshmen or transferring from another institution. Preference will be given to students who bring diversity to the Collat School of Business student body to include diverse racial, ethnic, economic, and geographic backgrounds. Additionally, preference will be given to first-generation college students and to students who demonstrate need along with academic ability.
2. Applicants should demonstrate solid academic promise or achievement. Entering freshmen need a minimum grade point average of 3.25 in coursework completed prior to the time of application AND at least a 24 ACT score. Students transferring from another institution of higher education should have earned a minimum 3.0 in all college course work and have completed at least 24 hours of course credit. For transfer students with less than 24 hours, the criteria for entering freshman and transfer students must be met-3.25 High School GPA, 24 ACT, and 3.0 College GPA as minimum requirements.
B. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
1. Applications for consideration should be submitted to the Collat School of Business Scholarship Coordinator by February 1.
2. Selection of scholarship recipient(s) will be made by the Collat School of Business Collat 4-Year Scholarship Committee in accordance with these guidelines.
C. ADMINISTRATION OF SCHOLARSHIP
1. The Collat Scholarship is a 4-year award for students who maintain full-time status (at least a 12-hour course load) with a minimum 3.0 GPA. In order to maintain the scholarship up to four years, students must continue to pursue an undergraduate business degree. This scholarship is designed to encourage all recipients to complete their undergraduate degree in four years.
2. The annual scholarship award will be applied toward the recipient's tuition and fees. Any scholarship funds in excess of the amount required for tuition and fees may be disbursed to the student for books, supplies, room and board, or other school-related expenses.
3. The Collat School of Business Collat 4-Year Scholarship Committee will award up to 20 four-year scholarships of $5,000 each to be distributed each year in two equal amounts over fall and spring semesters ($2,500 each term).
4. Recipients of the Collat 4-Year Scholarship are also eligible to receive other forms of student financial aid for which they may qualify.
The University has become one of the leading urban institutions in the nation and offers a wide range of academic and cultural experiences. This and other scholarships are designed to provide valuable financial assistance to those who wish to attend UAB.
Collat School of Business, BEC 202
1720 2nd Ave. S.
Birmingham, AL 95294