The mission of the UAB Collat School of Business Career Services office is to engage students in the career development process of exploring career options, gaining experience in a chosen field, preparing for the job search, and succeeding in their career goals. All services and programs are built around four phases, which make up a students’ career development plan: Explore, Experience, Prepare, and Succeed.
“You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” Zig Ziglar
Now Let’s go win - together!
- Register with University Career & Professional Development in DragonTrail.
- Take the FOCUS assessment.
- Conduct at least one informational interview with a successful professional within your desired career field.
- Participate in volunteer work and student organizations that allow you to demonstrate accomplishments.
- Create a LinkedIn profile so that you can stay conneted with recruiters you meet during UAB Career Fairs.
- Meet with the Collat Career Services team for guidance on integrating your academic and career plans.
- Meet with an internship coordinator to learn how to gain experience.
- Make an appointment with the Collat Career Coach to develop a resume.
- Upload your resume to DragonTrail and start exploring.
- Begin Experiential Learning within your desired profession (job shadowing, interning, mentoring).
- Attend at least one career event per semester.
- Use your LinkedIn page created during the EXPLORE phase to connect with recruiters and professionals you meet along the way.
- Continue participating in activities and experiences related to your major.
- Evaluate career/academic plan.
- Assume leadership roles in student organizations.
- Network through professional organizations.
- Talk with faculty about serving as references.
- Utilize Interview Stream located in DragonTrail https://uab.interviewstream.com to begin developing your interview skills.
- Create your “30-Second Elevator Pitch” including what you accomplished during the EXPERIENCE phase.
- Attend ALL career fairs and employer events related to your desired profession – this is where you will begin to use the elevator pitch and resume that you created during the PREPARE phase.
- Call the Collat Career Services office (205) 934-9202 to schedule an appointment with the career coach to get answers to questions and guidance.
- Set up a job agent in DragonTrail and start applying for jobs!