The 2014 Excellence in Business Top 25 award winners were recently feted by the Collat School of Business and the National Alumni Society in recognition of their exceptional business success. In partnership with the Birmingham Business Journal, UAB’s National Alumni Society selected the top 25 alumni who own or operate successful businesses. Ten Collat alumni were celebrated among this year’s honorees.
The Collat School of Business hosted a reception at the Wine Loft in downtown Birmingham on Thursday, March 6 for the Collat award recipients and their guests. On Friday, the National Alumni Society celebrated all winners at a luncheon at the UAB National Alumni House.
Representing a range of disciplines, from advertising to accounting to mortgage lending, many of the winners attributed their success to the strong academic foundation and networking support they received at Collat.
“UAB provided the foundation for me to understand the language of business” Stephen L. Moore, CPA, a founding member and current managing shareholder of Pearce, Bevill, Leesburg, Moore, PC, told the Birmingham Business Journal. “As an accounting major, I came to recognize the value of accurate and complete financial information and the crucial role it plays on the ability of an organization to be successful.”
John Gardner, chief digital officer at Luckie & Company and the head of its Integrative Logic division, said the Collat School of Business helped develop critical skills that he uses every day. “From the functional statistical methods learned in Dr. Lee’s class, to the challenges of working in teams, to working with diverse talents, UAB forced me to challenge the way I think,” he told the Birmingham Business Journal.
Congratulations to the following Collat alumni in the Excellence in Business Top 25 Class of 2014:
- Robin L. Bailey - The Legacy Connection. BS Accounting, 1980
- W. Craig Fravert - Fravert Services, Inc. BS Marketing, 1980
- John Gardner - Integrative Logic, A division of Luckie & Company. MBA, 1995
- Lisa Kianoff, CPA, CITP, CGMA - Kianoff & Associates, Inc. BS Accounting, 1982
- Joseph J. Meadows, IV - TJC Mortgage. BS Industrial Distribution, 2001
- Sam S. Miller - Burton Advertising. MBA, 2003
- Stephen L. Moore, CPA - Pearce, Bevill, Leesburg, Moore, P.C.. BS Accounting, 1976
- James O. Rodgers, FIMC, MBA - J. O. Rodgers and Associates, Management Consultants. MBA, 1978
- Brett S. Sheedy, MBA, CPA, JD, LLM - Partners Tax & Accounting, LLC. MBA, 2011
- LeRoy W. Tilt - PG Calc. BS Management, 1993