Turpen has been honored for his extensive knowledge in the field of accounting and information systems and his strong teaching skills. Turpen teaches financial accounting, auditing and applied research. He also works as a consultant locally and abroad. Turpen is an advisor to the Department of Examiners of Public Accounts of the State of Alabama and was instructor/author of electronic, multimedia Internet courses for the educational division of Pro2Net Corporation. He was volunteer consultant in international accounting, auditing, education and ethics to the Central Bank of the Russian Federation and its Oryol Banking School and was a volunteer consultant in accounting, auditing and finance to the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture and the Yekatit 25 Cooperative Institute in Ardaita, Ethiopia. Turpen was nominated in 1996 and 2001 for the President's Award for Excellence in Teaching for the School of Business. In 2000, he received the Loudell Ellis Robinson Teaching Award for the department of accounting and information systems.
- UAB Researcher Publishes Paper on OSS Innovation in Business
- Collat Student and Professor Selected as 2014 UAB President's Diversity Award Winners
- UAB AIS Student Chapter Selected as Finalist for National Competition
- Collat Receives Large Gift for Healthcare Leadership
- Collat Professors Honored By Accounting Association