UAB Collat School of Business, Alabama Retail Association Announce Speaker, Honorees for Retail Day 2013
The UAB Collat School of Business in cooperation with The Alabama Retail Association will honor 12 retail businesses as Retailers of the Year and one as a Centennial Retailer during the 32nd Annual Alabama Retail Day Luncheon on Tuesday, Oct. 8, at The Club in Birmingham.
The October luncheon will mark the 32nd Annual Retail Day and the 14th presentation of the Retailer of the Year Awards since 1999 and the 11th presentation of the Centennial Retailer awards since 2002.
> Rodney Barstein, chief operating officer of Simply Fashion Stores Ltd., will be luncheon keynote speaker. Birmingham-based Simply Fashion operates 250 stores in 22 states and employs 1,500 associates with 15 of those stores and more than 165 of those associates in Alabama.
A panel of judges with representatives from the media, chambers of commerce, former Retailers of the Year and the academic community chose the Retailers of the Year from a pool of deserving Alabama retailers who have demonstrated a blend of sound business practices with commitment to their communities, customers and employees. The level of the individual awards will be announced at the Oct. 8 awards luncheon.
The Retailer of the Year honorees are:
- Jen Barnett, Freshfully, Birmingham
- Lucy Buffett, LuLu’s, Gulf Shores
- Jan Clevenger, Belk Inc., 22 stores in 19 Alabama cities, Western Division based in Birmingham
- Managers and Associates, Western Supermarket – Mountain Brook
- Managers and Employees, Leaf & Petal, Mountain Brook
- Mark McCutcheon, Golden Flake Snack Foods, Birmingham
- Dorothy McDaniel, Dorothy McDaniel’s Flower Market, Homewood
- Stacie Money, Fringe, Opelika and Auburn
- Marco and Elan Morosini, Silvertron Café, Birmingham
- Jeff Rosenthal, Hibbett Sports, Birmingham-based, 87 stores in 68 Alabama cities
- Van Sykes, Bob Sykes Bar B Q Restaurant, Bessemer
- Georgia Ziglar, Ziglar Inc., Troy
The Centennial Retailer is the Birmingham Barons, which is in its 129th year of existence.
Prior to the 11:30 a.m. Retail Day luncheon, there will be a 9:30 a.m. panel discussion on careers in retailing with panelists, Margo Scoggins, Western Division recruiting manager for Belk; James McClain, Southeast Human Resources zone manager for Firestone Complete Auto Care; David Fortner, talent acquisitions specialist with Enterprise Car Rentals; and Doug Schneider, marketing vice president with Bayer Properties. Bryan Holt, a principal with Southpace Properties, will be the moderator.
See event brochure...
The Alabama Retail Association represents retailers, the largest private employer in the state of Alabama, before the Alabama Legislature and the U.S. Congress. Our 4,000 independent merchant and national company members sell food, clothing, furniture and other general merchandise at more than 6,000 locations throughout Alabama. Alabama Retail promotes what is best for the retailing industry in Alabama and has been doing so since 1943. From legislation to education, through communication and member services, Alabama Retail members benefit from the value of membership in their association. Retail works!