In recognition of the $25 million transformative gift that we recently received from Patsy W. and Charles A. Collat, we are now proud to be named the Collat School of Business. As Dean, I want to share my sentiments about this gift from three perspectives: gratitude, prominence and benevolence.
Charles Collat interviewed during half-time at the UAB vs. Northwestern State game on Sept. 21, 2013.
There are mornings when getting out of bed may seem impossible, and the idea of spending the day at work is unappealing. If working from home is an option, one UAB expert, Professor Scott Boyar, says perks of telecommuting go beyond working in pajamas.
“People are being called upon to do more for less,” said Suzanne Scott-Trammell, executive director of UAB Career & Professional Development Services. “When the economy improves, we will likely see many employees changing jobs.”
Robert Robicheaux, Ph.D., marketing professor and chairman of Department of Marketing, Industrial Distribution and Economics in the UAB School of Business, agreed that the sluggish economy has impacted workers’ job status.
Scott-Trammell and Robicheaux offered tips to help workers reinvent themselves:
The naming, approved today by the University of Alabama System’s Board of Trustees, comes as the university prepares to publicly launch the Campaign for UAB, its most ambitious fundraising campaign to-date, with the Collat donation as the lead gift.
Charles Collat is former CEO of Mayer Electric Supply Company Inc. Under his leadership, Mayer grew to be one of Birmingham’s largest privately held companies. He and his wife Patsy are longtime supporters of UAB, and their collective gifts represent the largest philanthropic support from any donor to UAB. The naming will make The Charles and Patsy Collat School of Business the first school at UAB to carry the name of a benefactor.
Mary Graham, 2, was born with scoliosis, hip dysplasia and muscular dystrophy. Dreams by Sheppard of her daughter running and jumping were replaced with plans for a life seated in a clunky wheelchair.
Enter to win a tablet PC gift pack, cash and prizes!
- BBVA Compass Program Takes UAB Students Around the World for Career Training
- Professor Yoder Talks with BBJ about Obstacles to Predicted Bank Mergers
- Finance Student is Top International Scorer on BAT
- UAB, Local High-School Students Examine Impact of Civil Rights Movement on Business
- ‘Back To School’ Doesn’t Have To Be ‘Back To Broke’ With These Tips
- Professor Robicheaux Discusses Changes in Alabama’s Grocery Industry
- Allen Named Senior Director of Development
- Upcoming Accounting CPE-Credited Seminars
- Dean Jack Named to Endowed Chair
- Ford Leadership Program Hires Seven UAB Business Grads