Incoming and Transfer StudentsIf you are a new student, meet with your advisor before signing up for classes. The hardest part of your first year should be your classes, not deciding what they should be. Take the easy way out: Make an appointment to talk or meet with your academic advisor before you attend New Student Orientation.
Contact the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office at (205) 934-6135 for help with registering but also with making the most of your choice to attend UAB!
Current StudentsYou can rely on your academic advisor for information, assistance, and encouragement throughout your time at UAB. In general, advisors will:
- help you identify your goals and develop educational plans to reach them;
- help you understand degree requirements, course selection, and schedule planning;
- refer you to resources across campus that can boost your academic performance;
- help you understand academic policies and procedures; and
- provide information about potential areas of study.
Visit the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Office to find contact information for the African American Studies advisor.
Feel free to contact the African American Studies Program director with questions about internships or professional development during your course of study.