The African American Studies ScholarshipThe African American Studies Program awards several scholarships in fall and spring for current student majors.
Deadline for Fall Applications: June 1st
You can apply for the scholarship through the UAB BSMART scholarship website.
- You must be enrolled in a full-time course of study (at least 12 hours) and must have officially declared a major in African American Studies.
- You must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or above, and a GPA in the African American Studies major of 3.2 or better.
- You must submit a cover letter of application verifying your need for financial aid, why you declared AAS as a major, and what you intend to accomplish with the AAS major after graduation. In short, the cover letter should document your academic and professional goals. The cover letter must be typed, signed, and dated.
- Your letter should address the relevance of African American Studies as a viable academic discipline. Have conditions improved, declined, or remained stagnant over forty years?
- You must attach your unofficial UAB transcript.
- You must have at least two letters of recommendation mailed or delivered to the AAS program director. These letters should be submitted from professors and others who have personal knowledge of your background and credentials. All letters must be typed, signed, sealed, and currently dated.