FacilitiesThe Chemistry Department is housed in a three-story, 45,000 square foot facility in the heart of the UAB campus. This recently remodeled building provides state-of-the-art research facilities to support the research thrusts of students and faculty.
The department has established an excellent infrastructure by acquiring equipment and personnel to facilitate modern research.
Some of our cutting edge equipment includes:
- research and routine CD, UV and IR spectrometers;
- gas and liquid chromatographs with a full range of detector types;
- 300, 400, and 700 MHz NMR spectrometers for state-of-the-art biological and chemical research;
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer;
- X-ray diffractometer for small molecule structures;
- computational and molecular modeling facilities; and
- specialized equipment for polymer and thin film characterization and spectroscopy of excited state research.
Other features of the UAB Chemistry Department include:
- vacuum line and dry box equipment support synthesis work that requires inert atmosphere techniques and extensive facilities are available for combinatorial chemistry;
- access to a comprehensive crystallography laboratory focusing on protein structure analysis and laser equipment for materials research applications; and
- a multimedia-equipped lecture hall with in-class access to the Internet.