Pre-Optonmetry Prerequisite Courses
Candidates must complete all of the courses listed below with a grade of C or better prior to matriculation into the professional program:
- One year of Biology with labs
- One course in Microbiology
- One year of General Chemistry with labs
- One half year of Organic Chemistry with a lab
- One course of Biochemistry
- One year of Physics with labs
- One course of Calculus
- One course of Statistics
- One year of English
- One course of Psychology *
- One year of Social and Behavioral Science**
* A statistics course taken in a psychology department may not be counted for fulfillment of both the psychology prerequisite and the statistics prerequisite.
**Any combination of two semesters or two quarters in sociology, economics, anthropology, history, political science or additional psychology.
Optometry Admissions Test (OAT)
All applicants are required to take the Optometry Admission Test. This examination is offered twice a year, usually during February and October. Applicants are encouraged to take the examination in February of the year preceding anticipated application.
Check the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry for more admissions test information.