Admission RequirementsFor admission in good standing, you must meet the UAB Graduate School's requirements for scholarship and test scores. You should normally have finished the requirements for an undergraduate degree in English, including satisfactory completion of at least six semester hours in a foreign language. A generally well-prepared applicant who is lacking in some part of the undergraduate preparation may be admitted with the provision that any deficiencies be removed by a time specified by the graduate program director.
How to ApplyPlease read the Resources for Graduate Students FAQ for information about how to apply to the program.
Plan of StudyAll Creative Writing students complete a creative thesis; no area examinations are required. Please visit the UAB Graduate Catalog for the most up-to-date program information and course descriptions.
Creative Writing graduate students must take:
- Creative Writing Courses (9 hours) — at least one must be in a genre other than the student's genre of specialization
- Literature electives (9 hours)
- English electives (6 hours)
- EH 699: Thesis Research (twice — 6 hours)
- 15 hours of course work must be at the 600 level in English. A maximum of 3 of these required 15 hours can be taken as EH 699, Thesis Research.
- Students must choose a member of the English faculty to chair their Graduate Study Committee (GSC). In consultation with this chair, students must select at least two other faculty members to complete their GSC. All members of the GSC must be graduate faculty. Once constituted, membership of the GSC cannot be changed without the approval of the departmental Graduate Committee.
- Before students can be admitted to candidacy, they must have passed 18 hours of course work and had a thesis proposal accepted by their GSC and the departmental Graduate Committee.
- Students must pass a Thesis Defense.