Internships in English
The English Department, in cooperation with university-wide and off-campus partners, offers its majors and minors internship experiences that enhance their attractiveness to prospective employers. Many internships have resulted in part-time or full-time employment after the semester has concluded. Within the English department, opportunities include include assisting the editors of PMS poemmemoirstory and Birmingham Poetry Review. Students also intern in other parts of the university; past collaborations have included the School of Education and UAB Health Systems Marketing. Organizations within the Birmingham community specializing in magazine and book publishing, non-profit fund raising, and business communications round out possibilities for acquiring the practical experience that will enhance students' resumes while helping them to build a professional portfolio demonstrating their knowledge and skills.
English majors interested in internships should meet with Dr. Cynthia Ryan, English Internship Coordinator, to discuss eligibility requirements and available internship opportunities. Students accepted for internships enroll in either EH 311 or EH 411. EH 311 requirements include at least the following: performance of 10-15 hours of research or publications activities per week, as defined by the on-site supervisor, completion of journal entries that draw on the intern's experiences, and completion of a written report addressing an aspect of the internship approved by Dr. Ryan in consultation with the student. On-site supervisors also provide written evaluations of interns, feedback that can assist students as they pursue careers following graduation. EH 411 satisfies the Capstone requirement for the major and involves more academic work, including more extensive journal assignments, regular meetings with the Internships Coordinator and other EH 411 students, participation in discussion sessions with scheduled speakers, and a final professional portfolio and exit interview. Students who wish to enroll in EH 411 should be late-term juniors or seniors. Internships are graded classes, and final grades are based on the student's work ethic and written work and are determined by the Internship Coordinator in consultation with the student's on-site internship supervisor.
Eligibility and Procedures
Students must meet the following requirements to qualify for an English internship:
- Must be enrolled full-time as English majors or minors at UAB
- Must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 or higher for an off-campus internship or an on-campus research internship, and a 2.5 overall GPA or higher for a publications Internship
- Must have at least junior standing or the equivalent course credits
- Must be able to work the required number of hours (10-15) to fulfill commitments to the employer
- If awarded an internship, must enroll in EH 311 or EH 411 for the internship semester and—under the supervision of the Internship Coordinator—must fulfill all requirements for that course.
Students who qualify for English internships should follow these procedures:
- Make an appointment with the Internship Coordinator, Dr. Cynthia Ryan, at the beginning of the semester prior to the semester in which you hope to hold an internship.
- Following the meeting, complete the Internship Application Form (PDF; Adobe Acrobat required).
- Stay in contact with the Internship Coordinator for information about schedule interviews with potential employers and prepare -- with the assistance of the Internship Coordinator -- for interviews.
- Once accepted by the on-site supervisor for an internship, contact the Internship Coordinator to enroll in EH 311 or EH 411.
For more information about the Internship program in English, contact Dr. Cynthia Ryan, HB211, (205) 934-8600.