Scholarships and Prizes
The Department of English offers four scholarships for undergraduate majors in English, as well as two prizes for excellence in creative writing:
- The Grace Lindsley Waits Scholarship in English
- The Phillips Scholarship in English
- The English Endowed Recruiting Scholarship
- The Gloria Goldstein Howton Scholarship in Creative Writing (also open to graduate students)
- The Barksdale-Maynard Prizes in Fiction and Poetry
- The Tom Brown Prize for Creative Nonfiction
The Howton Scholarship is by faculty nomination, and each of the others requires a student application, due March 1.
The Grace Lindsley Waits Scholarship in English
The Grace Lindsley Waits Scholarship was endowed by Dr. William E. Doggett III and other grateful students of Mrs. Waits, a distinguished English teacher at Banks High School for many years. Her love of literature and language is celebrated by this living legacy established in her honor. The scholarship is worth $2000.
The Phillips Scholarship in English
The Phillips Scholarship in English was created by the friends and alumni of Phillips High School, the premier high school in the greater Birmingham metropolitan area for decades. The Phillips faculty, especially Principal Sellers Stough, are gratefully remembered by the students to whom they dedicated their lives. The scholarship is worth $2000.
Eligibility and Application
The Waits and Phillips Scholarships share eligibility requirements. Applicants must be
- an undergraduate English major
- a current junior with expectations of being a senior in the year the scholarship is received
- a student with a GPA of 3.0 or above for all courses taken at UAB
Preference will be given to students who have received a “B” or better in EH 301. Award is made for the next academic year and half is paid each semester.
- Download the application (requires Adobe Acrobat). The completed application form must be submitted to the Chair of the Department, Dr. Peter Bellis, by the date specified on the form.
- For questions about either the Lindsley Waits or the Phillips Scholarship, contact Dr. Alison Chapman, Humanities Building 207G, (205) 934-8570.
The English Endowed Recruiting Scholarship
Applicants for the English Endowed Recruiting Scholarship must be entering freshman to UAB and enrolled in the Department of English and must maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average. For more information, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Gloria Goldstein Howton Creative Writing Award
Gifts from friends and former colleagues of Gloria Goldstein Howton have been used to create an endowed scholarship in her honor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Income from the Gloria Goldstein Howton Endowment Fund is used to award an annual scholarship to a student enrolled in creative writing at UAB. The scholarship recipient is selected by members of the creative writing faculty on the basis of merit, character, and promise. A minimum grade point average of 3.0 is necessary for consideration. The scholarship is a one-year award, renewable at the discretion of the scholarship committee. For more information contact Jim Braziel, Director of Creative Writing, Humanities Building 205, (205) 934-8573.
The Barksdale-Maynard and Tom Brown Prizes in Creative Writing
The Barksdale-Maynard Prizes in Fiction and Poetry are made possible by a gift from Isabel Barksdale-Maynard in honor of her family. The Tom Brown Prize for Creative Nonfiction is named in honor of Dr. Thomas H. Brown, chair of the English Department from 1984-1992. Prizes of $200 each are awarded annually for the best work of short fiction, creative nonfiction, and the best poem or group of poems.
Eligibility and Application
An applicant for any of these prizes must be a currently enrolled UAB student in good standing with the University.