We the PeopleWelcome to the Department of Government! We offer undergraduate and graduate programs of study leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and International Studies, the Master of Public Administration degree, and a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management (online options are available).
Our comprehensive undergraduate curriculum in Political Science prepares students for careers in law, public service, electoral politics, policy analysis, and graduate studies. But we offer more than courses to help our students excel.
- The honors program provides outstanding undergraduates with opportunities for advanced study and faculty mentorship; students have the opportunity to present their theses at the annual UAB EXPO.
- We encourage our students to participate in internships and study away opportunities. Internships with nonprofit advocacy groups provide real public service to community organizations and improve quality of life in Birmingham and beyond.
- Students can get involved in the life of the Department and the College of Arts and Sciences. Our Political Science club and Pre-Law Society host lectures, screen films, and voter registration drives.
In our NASPAA-accredited Master of Public Administration program, graduate students select from two concentrations: Nonprofit Management or Public Management and Planning. Our nationally ranked program (number 68 in the nation) is ranked the #1 stand-alone master’s program in the South and is one of the top 200 public administration masters programs worldwide. Here, too, students will find many resources to help them in their careers.
- Internship opportunities are widely available at area nonprofit organizations and often provide entry to a new career in public administration.
- Students are eligible for membership in the National Public Administration Honors Society and have access to an active network of public servants in the local chapter of the American Society for Public Administration.
- Our students can join several student groups to enhance their education and experience.
- Not ready for a graduate degree? The nonprofit management certificate was designed with you in mind.
All faculty members within the Department of Government are active research scholars who are committed to excellence in classroom teaching. We look forward to guiding you toward academic achievement as you become part of a diverse and vital campus community at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Chair, Department of Government