The MPA's public administration internship program is designed to provide students with practical, hands-on experience of the challenges, complexities, and rewards of working in the public sector. It is an essential ingredient of the MPA program, and was recently recognized for its excellence by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA).
The purpose of the internship is to give students the opportunity to apply what they have learned in the classroom within a professional workplace setting. The internship must be concluded before completion of the MPA degree.
Our graduate interns are equipped to provide research support, policy analysis, budgeting experience, and/or program evaluation skills to a public or nonprofit organization. They will provide professional assistance to existing staff members, provide expertise and resources for projects and activities in which the agency is involved, and contribute skills on analytic methods of program and/or policy evaluation. Many of our students have gone on to work full-time for organizations where they initially served as interns.
Internship Guidelines and Forms
The following links will give you information on internships and access to documents that you will need to fulfill MPA internship requirements. Before you sign up for internship credit, please contact MPA Program Director.
- Internship Placement Guide
- Internship Initiation Form
- Internship Agreement
- Agency Evaluation Form
- Student Evaluation Form
Where Do You Want to Intern?
Students may choose where they would like to intern as long as the agency or organization has an internship policy.
Here are a few of the agencies that our students have served as interns over the past few years:
- Alabama Ballet
- Alabama Citizens for Constitutional Reform
- Alabama Dance Council
- Alabama Heart Association
- Alabama Policy Institute
- Alabama-Germany Partnership
- Better Basics
- Birmingham Housing Authority
- Birmingham Humane Society
- Birmingham Pledge Foundation
- Cities of Bessemer, Birmingham, Dothan, Homewood, Morris, Mountain Brook, and Vestavia
- Crohns and Colitis Foundation
- Fair Housing Center of Northern Alabama
- Gateway, Inc.
- Girls, Incorporated of Central Alabama
- Government Accountability Office (GAO), Washington DC
- Homes for Our Troops
- Jefferson County Department of Health and Family Court
- Jones Valley Urban Farm
- Main Street Birmingham
- Metropolitan Birmingham Services for the Homeless (now One Roof)
- Mobile County Commission
- M-Power Ministries
- Nonprofit Resource Center of Alabama
- Office of the US Trade Representative
- Operation New Birmingham
- Rape Response
- The Red Barn
- Regional Planning Commission
- Shelby County Arts
- Spirit of Hope Youth Ranch
- The Seasteading Institute
- Treatment Alternatives for Safer Communities (TASC)
- UAB Benevolent Fund
- United Way of Central Alabama
- Urban Ministry
- VSA Arts of Alabama