Professor, Director of the Political Science Program
Heritage Hall 410
Research Interests: State subsidies, international political economy, the European Union
Office Hours: T/Th 11:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.; and by appointment
- BA, Slippery Rock University, 1984
- MA, University of Georgia, 1988
- PhD, University of Georgia, 1992
A native of Greece, professor Zahariadis studies issues of comparative European policy and international political economy. He previously served as director of international studies at UAB and has received numerous teaching awards.
Follow the linked course names to see sample syllabi which describe course aims, learning objectives, requirements, and schedules. These are samples only. The instructor may make changes to these syllabi in future courses.
- State Subsidies in the Global Economy (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008)
- Essence of Political Manipulation: Emotion, Institutions, and Greek Foreign Policy (Peter Lang, 2005)
- Ambiguity and Choice in Public Policy (Georgetown University Press, 2003)
- "National Fiscal Profligacy and European Institutional Adolescence: The Greek Trigger to Europe's Sovereign Debt Crisis," Government & Opposition 48 (No. 1, 2013): 33-54.
- "Complexity, Coupling, and Policy Effectiveness: The European Response to the Greek Sovereign Debt Crisis," Journal of Public Policy 32 (No. 2, 2012): 99-116.
- "Greece's Debt Crisis: A National Tragedy of European Proportions," Mediterranean Quarterly 21 (No. 4, 2010): 34-58.
- Social Science Research Council (US) Collaborative Visiting Scholar, Economic and Social Research Council (UK)
- Senior Research Fellow, National Bank of Greece
- Adjunct Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- Fellow, Policy Studies Organization
- Chair, Public Policy Section, European Union Studies Association
- External Evaluator of Research Proposals for the Greek Ministry of Education and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Former President, International Studies Association (ISA)-South
- American Political Science Association