Heritage Hall 360Q
Research and Teaching Interests: The history of capitalism, early modern Europe, and the French Revolution
Office Hours: T/TH 8:00 - 9:30 a.m.; and by appointment
- BA, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1991
- MA, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 1994
- PhD, UCLA, 1999
Born and raised near downtown Chicago, I became fascinated with French history as a student at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, when I learned about all of the revolutionary upheavals in the country’s past. I’ve since become an historian of Old Regime France and the Revolution.
I am currently writing a book about the provincial assemblies of landowners set up by the French monarchy to administer most of the realm in the 1770s and 1780s. The book presents the conflicts generated by the monarchy’s most ambitious effort to reform its institutions. The conflict resulted from the noble and bourgeois office holders and seigneurs whose vested interests were threatened by the new administration of assemblies. In this way, the book examines the revolutionary context engulfing the monarchy as it collapsed in 1789.
- The Era of the French Revolution and Napoleon
- Graduate Seminar: The Old Regime and the French Revolution
- Europe in the Seventeenth Century: Absolutism, Revolution, and Science
- Western and World Civilizations I: Prehistory to 1648
- The French Enlightenment: Society and Letters
- Stephen Miller and Christopher Isett, The Social History of Agriculture: From the Origins to the Current Crisis (Rowman & Littlefield, 2017).
- Stephen Miller, State and Society in Eighteenth-Century France: A Study of Political Power and Social Revolution in Languedoc (Catholic University of America Press, 2008).
- Stephen Miller, “Venal Offices, Provincial Assemblies and the French Revolution,” French History 28 (No. 3, 2014):343-65.
- Stephne Miller, "The Economy of France in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries: Market Opportunity and Labor Productivity in Languedoc," Rural History 20 (No. 1, 2009).
- Scholarships: the American Philosophical Society, Fulbright, and the Mellon Foundation
- American Historical Association
- Society for French Historical Studies
- Western Society for French History
- Consortium on Revolutionary Europe, 1750-1850
- Social Science History Association