Social Media Communication (CMST 493)Time: M/W/F 4:40 - 5:30 p.m.
(note: this is a blended class. Monday and Wednesday classes will be held in the classroom. Friday classes are held online.)
Instructor: Matt Cuthbert
For many career paths, social media savvy is essential, and in today's job market, your online presence is an digital portfolio accessible to any potential employer.
You use social media every day, but are you using it effectively?
- social media best practices
- common pitfalls to avoid
- how to organize your social feeds to find better quality content
- how to tailor your communication for specific apps
- which platforms make the most sense for your field
- how to grow an audience
- how to stay connected with your audience and earn their respect
- ways to get more clicks, more likes, more comments, and more shares
- opportunities for turning negative situations into PR wins
- techniques for optimizing content for search engines
- methods to measure your success
- ways to build yourself as a brand
- and how to turn your passion into a career
Matt Cuthbert is the main voice for UAB Students social media accounts and advises various UAB departments in their own use of social media. He previously oversaw social media and search engine optimization for AL.com.
Last semester this class benefited from several guest lecturers, including:
- Jen West, filmmaker and author of the Jen West Quest.
- Landon Howell, head of strategy and content at Fancred.
- Joshua Mull, director of content at PVP Live.
- Julie McKinney, community engagement specialist at AL.com.