The Foreign Languages Honors Program is designed for qualified, self-motivated foreign languages majors. Honors students are assigned a faculty mentor who will advise you as you complete and defend your honors thesis to an Honors Committee. Through the program you will become prepared for in-depth foreign language research and related graduate or professional opportunities.
Acceptance into the program requires the student to:
- be a Foreign Languages major,
- have at least sophomore standing,
- have at least 6 hours of 300-level UAB foreign languages courses,
- have at least a 3.25 GPA in UAB foreign languages courses,
- have at least an overall 3.0 GPA, and
- have submitted a formal application for the Foreign Languages Honors Program to the Department Chair or have been recommended to the program by a member of the department.
We expect a lot from our honors students, but in return you will gain valuable skills and experience. Program requirements include:
- completion of required courses for the Foreign Language major,
- submission of a formal project proposal to your faculty mentor and the department chair,
- agreement and acceptance of the proposal by your mentor and the chair,
- creation of an Honors Committee (members include your faculty mentor and two faculty consultants),
- registration for 3 credit hours of FLL 410: Undergraduate Foreign Language Research,
- public defense of the research project,
- acceptance of the completed project by your Honors Committee, and
- submission of an archival copy of the completed project signed by the Honors Committee to the department.
For more information and/or admission to the Foreign Languages Honors Program, please contact the department chair