Foreign Language Internship: FLL 333 1-6 Credit Hours
Foreign Language majors have the opportunity to work on an internship in the community before graduation date. The FLL 333 credit normally counts towards general electives credit and cannot replace language courses. Under exceptional circumstances, however, Internships may replace the required study-abroad program if approved by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Chairperson.
Pre-requisites: 6 hours at the 300 level or equivalent; Junior standing; 3.0 G.P.A. minimum. An internship is: 1) An opportunity to turn theory into practice; 2) An opportunity to learn intangibles of the workplace from experts in the field; 3) An opportunity to gain insights into the strengths and weaknesses of your education; 4) An opportunity to make contacts from an academic and/or work environment which could further your career; 5) A practical experience with responsibilities and rewards.
Interested students must comply with the following procedures in order to successfully apply:
- Make an appointment with Internship Faculty Advisors (Dr. John K. Moore, Jr. for summer semester and Dr. Lourdes Sánchez-López for spring semester) and also with the Chairperson (Dr. Serge Bokobza) to request permission one semester prior to the internship. Internships are not offered during the fall semester.
- Take WebCAPE proficiency exam (or other departmentally approved proficiency examination) and receive a score indicating the 300 level or higher.
- Once the Internship Faculty Advisor or the Department Chairperson has granted permission, you may enroll in FLL 333-Foreign Language Internship.
- You then must make a second appointment with the appropriate Internship Faculty Advisor (Dr. Sánchez-López) to identify internship location and fill out the UAB Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Internship packet.
- You must start the internship when the regular semester starts and finish it when the semester finishes.
All students must meet the following FLL 333 application deadlines: