FLL 333 1-6 Credit Hours
Foreign Language majors have the opportunity to work on an internship or service-learning in the community before graduation date. FLL 333 can be taken towards the FL major, towards the Spanish for Specific Purposes Certificate program (3 credits) or towards general electives credit. FLL 333 cannot replace language courses credit. Under exceptional circumstances, however, FLL 333 may replace the required study-abroad program if approved by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Chairperson.
Pre-requisites: 6 hours at the 300 level or equivalent; Junior standing; 3.0 G.P.A. minimum.
An internship / service-learning is: 1) An opportunity to turn theory into practice; 2) An opportunity to learn intangibles of the workplace from experts in the field; 3) An opportunity to gain insights into the strengths and weaknesses of your education; 4) An opportunity to make contacts from an academic and/or work environment which could further your career; 5) A practical experience with responsibilities and rewards.
Interested students must comply with the following procedures in order to successfully apply:
- Make an appointment with Internship /Service-Learning Faculty Advisor (Dr. Lourdes Sánchez-López) or also with the Chairperson (Dr. Catherine Daniélou) to request permission one semester prior to the internship / Service-Learning. FLL 333 is not offered during the fall semester.
- Take WebCAPE proficiency exam (or other departmentally approved proficiency examination) and receive a score indicating the 300 level or higher.
- Once the Internship / Service-Learning Faculty Advisor or the Department Chairperson has granted permission, you may enroll in FLL 333-Foreign Language Internship /Service-Learning. Students should NOT enroll in FLL 333 without prior departmental approval.
- You then must make a second appointment with the appropriate Internship / Service-Learning Faculty Advisor (Dr. Sánchez-López) to identify internship location and fill out the UAB Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures Internship packet.
- You must start the internship / service-learning when the regular semester starts and finish it when the semester finishes.
All students must meet the following FLL 333 application deadlines: