For AdmissionIn addition to meeting the requirements for admission to the Graduate School, a candidate must meet requirements for unconditional admission to the Instrumental Music Program. To be eligible for unconditional admission to this Class A certification program, a candidate must hold a valid Alabama bachelor's level professional educator certificate in Choral or Instrumental Music Education.
Please note: If an individual is unconditionally admitted to this Class A program based on a valid bachelor's level professional educator certification from another state, this individual must hold valid Alabama Class B certification in Choral or Instrumental Music Education before completing this Class A program in Choral or Instrumental Music Education and subsequently applying for Alabama certification at the Class A leve in Choral or Instrumental Music Education.
Prospective students should not begin any coursework without first seeking advisement from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. Students who ignore this advice assume responsibility for their own mistakes.
For CertificationOnce a candidate has completed checklist requirements and has met all admission, exit, and certification requirements, the candidate will be eligible for Class A certification in Choral or Instrumental Music Education. To be eligible for this certification, the candidate must:
- submit a completed application for certification during the last term of enrollment in the Class A Choral or Instrumental Music Education Program (and no more than 60 calendar months following completion of the degree)
- complete the Class A program with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on all courses
- achieve a passing score on a comprehensive assessment documenting mastery of the curriculum
- possess a Class B Professional Certificate in the Choral or Instrumental Music Program
- meet all requirements for the Alabama Educators Certification Testing Program (AECTP)