The Kasmans will perform Camille Saint-Saens’ timeless “Carnival of the Animals.” The HSO will set the theme for the evening’s performance with Haydn’s Symphony No. 82 “The Bear” and Respighi’s charming aviary masterpiece “The Birds.”
Three electroacoustic compositions, “WOOSH,” “A Memory of Tomorrow 2.0” and “Spline,” were selected for inclusion in the conference. The event will feature works by composers from around the country. The conference will take place at the Howard Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of Louisiana Tech University in Ruston, La.
Technological advances in the last 10 to 15 years have given everyone greater power to manipulate music, from professionals in state-of-the-art studios to kids with laptops. But when those kids come to campus with visions of music industry glitz in their eyes, they often need help figuring out how to turn their hobby into a career.
Now they can turn to Beyond Sound: The College and Career Guide in Music Technology, written by Scott L. Phillips, Ph.D., an assistant professor in the UAB Department of Music. (The book, published by Oxford University Press, is available at the UAB Bookstore, Amazon.com, and many other outlets.)
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Department of Music students Jake Preston Hemminger and Valencia Callens earned honors and awards in March. Hemminger, a junior from Montgomery, was recognized as one of five students from Alabama to receive a full scholarship at the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) National Conference in Dallas, Texas, March 13-16, 2013. Hemminger was chosen from a large number of qualified applicants from throughout the state based on his outstanding student record, credentials and letters of reference.
- Panion to Receive Social Justice Award
- New Work by William Price Selected for NYC Festival
- Marching Blazers Win International Band Competition In Ireland
- Marching Blazers Traveling to Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day parade
- UAB Singers Represent at the Alabama National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
- Kasman to perform at Canadian festival and UAB faculty recital
- UAB Computer Music Ensemble's Performance in Texas Streamed Live - Wednesday, February 13 at 6:30 PM CST
- ASO Commissions Two Works By Panion for 2013
- UAB Department of Music Installs AVID System 5 Fusion Console in Major Redesign of the UAB Recording Studio
- UAB's Zingara Signs as Conn-Selmer Endorsing Artist
- Ace of Bass: A Musical Journey Around the World
- UAB Music's William Price Chosen for Digital Landscape at Lisbon Festival
- UAB Pianist Yakov Kasman Lights the Hall with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
- UAB's Kristine Hurst-Wajszczuk Appointed Governor of Alabama Chapter of NATS