The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Marching Blazers Band won the International Band Competition held in Limerick, Ireland, Monday, March 18, 2013.
The Marching Blazers were invited to Ireland by the mayor of Dublin to perform in the city’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Sunday. The group of 120 band members left Dublin early Monday for the two-hour drive to Limerick, where they competed against 17 other international bands, including bands from Germany, Canada, Italy and the United States. After a cold, rainy and sleeting Sunday in Dublin, the band members shed their rain ponchos and showed off their green and gold uniforms on a sunny Monday in Limerick, said Director Sue Samuels, Ph.D.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Marching Blazers will pack their green and gold for a trip to the Emerald Isle March 14-21.
The mayor of Dublin, Ireland, Andrew Montague, last year invited the Marching Blazers to perform for the 2013 St. Patrick’s Day parade. After raising more than $100,000, 120 members of the 200-member band are going. They will march and perform in the two-hour parade on March 17 in front of an estimated 500,000 people. At least 17 bands from across the U.S., Canada, Germany, Italy and Ireland will march in the parade.
UAB singers represented very well recently at the Alabama National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) auditions in Tuscaloosa. Over 360 students competed in the annual state competition. Pictured here (from left): Dominique Hector placed third in sophomore college men musical theatre; Mary Katherine Whatley placed third in junior college women classical division and was a semi-finalist in junior college women musical theatre; Jake Preston Hemminger placed second junior college men classical division and first in junior college men musical theatre; Nole Jones placed second in both freshman college men and freshman college men musical theatre; Shane Bloemetjie placed second in senior college men classical division.
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Professor of Piano Yakov Kasman will perform with theKitchener-Waterloo Symphony in Ontario, Canada, Feb. 22-23, 2013. Kasman will perform Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 2 for the symphony’s Tchaikovsky Festival.
“While everybody knows his most popular Concerto No. 1, his second concerto is less known, but the music is just as fantastic,” Kasman said. “Orchestras usually ask me to play the first concerto, so this is a wonderful opportunity for me to perform that great piece.”
The UAB Department of Music will present Kasman in a UAB faculty solo recital, with the participation of his daughter Aleksandra Kasman as guest pianist, at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 5, in the Reynolds-Kirschbaum Recital Hall of UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, 1200 10th Ave. South. He will perform works by Brahms and Rachmaninoff. The recital is free and open to the public. Call 205-934-7376.
UAB Computer Music Ensemble's Performance in Texas Streamed Live - Wednesday, February 13 at 6:30 PM CST
The UAB Computer Music Ensemble will perform at the Texas Music Educators Convention in San Antonio, Texas on Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Their performance will be the culminating activity of a day of technology-focused preconvention activities for musicians and music educators. The performance can be streamed over the internet at 6:30 PM CST via Livestream at http://livestre.am/4l1ah. The TMEA convention is the largest music education conference of its kind in the United States, drawing some 25,000 attendees from all over the country.
- ASO Commissions Two Works By Panion for 2013
- UAB Department of Music Installs AVID System 5 Fusion Console in Major Redesign of the UAB Recording Studio
- UAB's Zingara Signs as Conn-Selmer Endorsing Artist
- Ace of Bass: A Musical Journey Around the World
- UAB Music's William Price Chosen for Digital Landscape at Lisbon Festival
- UAB Pianist Yakov Kasman Lights the Hall with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
- UAB's Kristine Hurst-Wajszczuk Appointed Governor of Alabama Chapter of NATS
- UAB Trumpet Ensemble Performs at International Trumpet Guild
- UAB Music Department Alum Lonnie Parsons Receives Rave Reviews as the "Pianoman"
- UAB Jazz Ensemble and Music Tech Major Micah Braxton Winners at Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame Festival
- Yakov Kasman 2012 Recipient of the Ireland Award
- Yakov Kasman on Jury for Busoni International Piano Competition in Italy
- UAB Students Win at Annual NATS Competition
- Songs of England, Austria, France, and Russia featured in Concert by UAB's Paul Mosteller, baritone, and Yakov Kasman, piano