UAB Computer Music Ensemble's Performance in Texas Streamed Live - Wednesday, February 13 at 6:30 PM CST
The UAB Computer Music Ensemble will perform at the Texas Music Educators Convention in San Antonio, Texas on Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Their performance will be the culminating activity of a day of technology-focused preconvention activities for musicians and music educators. The performance can be streamed over the internet at 6:30 PM CST via Livestream at http://livestre.am/4l1ah. The TMEA convention is the largest music education conference of its kind in the United States, drawing some 25,000 attendees from all over the country.
Two new works by UAB University Professor of Music Henry Panion III, Ph.D., will be among the first in a series of efforts in 2013 to commemorate the seminal events of the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham.
As an institution committed to service, excellence, diversity and community involvement, UAB is a proud partner with the City of Birmingham in 50 Years Forward, the ongoing commemoration. Panion has been commissioned by the Alabama Symphony Orchestra (ASO) to compose the works for “Reflect & Rejoice,” the ASO’s annual tribute to Martin Luther King Jr., scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, 2013, at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center, a cultural center that unites UAB and the Birmingham community.
UAB Department of Music Installs AVID System 5 Fusion Console in Major Redesign of the UAB Recording Studio
Music students at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) can attain a new level of competitive experience with the recent redesign and upgrade of the university’s recording studio.
With the addition of the AVID System 5 Fusion console, the UAB Department of Music is now one of only a handful of programs across the nation to provide this level of professional experience for its students, says University Professor of Music Henry Panion III, Ph.D.
Dr. James Zingara, UAB Assistant Professor of Trumpet/Assistant Director of Bands has recently been named by Conn-Selmer, Inc. to its Artist Endorsement Roster for Bach trumpets. Founded by Vincent Bach in 1924, Bach Stradivarius trumpets have long been known as the industry standard ; Zingara performs exclusively on Bach B-flat and C trumpets and cornets. Professional musicians and instructors around the world endorse instruments from Conn-Selmer, including instruments by Bach, Selmer, C.G. Conn, King, Leblanc, Ludwig/Musser, and others. Conn-Selmer, Inc. is the largest manufacturer of band and orchestral instruments and accessories in the United States and is a subsidiary of Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc.
Won Cho, D.M.A., brings a warm, sonorous bass and a world of performing experience to the UAB Department of Music, which he recently joined as an assistant professor of voice. Here, the Korean-Canadian vocalist offers a peek into his globetrotting career.
You’ve performed in operas and concerts around the world. Do you enjoy traveling?
I love going to different countries, and I’ve found that language and music are the best way to understand their cultures. I’m now traveling more outside of the major countries where most opera singers perform, like Italy and Germany. This summer will take me to Korea, China, and Spain for performances and teaching, and I recently went to China for a Christmas/New Year opera gala concert. My new initiative is to learn and perform each country’s folk music, either as part of the concert repertoire or as an encore to show the audience my appreciation.
- UAB Music's William Price Chosen for Digital Landscape at Lisbon Festival
- UAB Pianist Yakov Kasman Lights the Hall with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
- UAB's Kristine Hurst-Wajszczuk Appointed Governor of Alabama Chapter of NATS
- UAB Trumpet Ensemble Performs at International Trumpet Guild
- UAB Music Department Alum Lonnie Parsons Receives Rave Reviews as the "Pianoman"
- UAB Jazz Ensemble and Music Tech Major Micah Braxton Winners at Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame Festival
- Yakov Kasman 2012 Recipient of the Ireland Award
- Yakov Kasman on Jury for Busoni International Piano Competition in Italy
- UAB Students Win at Annual NATS Competition
- Songs of England, Austria, France, and Russia featured in Concert by UAB's Paul Mosteller, baritone, and Yakov Kasman, piano
- UAB Music Tech Major Kevin Peek Wins 1st Place at Regional Kennedy Center Competition
- UAB Gospel Choir Director's Song Gives Sixteenth Street's Smallest Victims a Voice
- UAB Music Major Ralph Marion Loses Home In Devastating Tornado
- Fall in Love with Jazz with UAB's Steve Robert's CD, Let's Fall In Love