["Pianomen," at the Virginia Samford Theatre in Birmingham through April 29; 251-1206; Review gets four out of five stars.]
“Pianomen” really isn’t a play. It’s not theater.
It’s more like a chance for a guy to sit down at the piano, tell us a few stories about his life and, mainly, sing the songs of Billy Joel, Elton John, Barry Manilow and others while three of his friends sing back-up.
Thank goodness that guy is Lonnie Parsons, one of the most talented guys around when it comes to playing the piano and singing. And it doesn’t hurt that his talented trio of friends is made up of Kristi Tingle Higginbotham, Jan D. Hunter and Amy Johnson.
UAB presents the award annually to a full-time faculty member in the College of Arts and Sciences for professional and academic achievements and contributions to the university and local community. The prize, made possible by the Caroline P. and Charles W. Ireland Endowment for Scholarly Distinction, comes with $5,000 cash and a Steuben crystal engraved award.
- Songs of England, Austria, France, and Russia featured in Concert by UAB's Paul Mosteller, baritone, and Yakov Kasman, piano
- UAB Music Tech Major Kevin Peek Wins 1st Place at Regional Kennedy Center Competition
- UAB Gospel Choir Director's Song Gives Sixteenth Street's Smallest Victims a Voice
- UAB Music Major Ralph Marion Loses Home In Devastating Tornado
- Fall in Love with Jazz with UAB's Steve Robert's CD, Let's Fall In Love
- Iron Giant (UAB Alum and Student Percussion Quartet) Performs Ku-Ka-Ilimoku
- UAB's Kasman to Perform in France with Orchestre Lamoureux
- UAB’s Panion to Speak on Next Generation of Musicians at NAMM
- New Work for String Orchestra by UAB’s Price to Have World Premiere
- UAB Opera program honored by National Opera Association
- The UAB Marching Blazers' Exhibition Show at the 2011 Hoover Invitational Marching Band Festival
- Brian Kittredge, Upcoming Events