An electro-acoustic work by a UAB Music professor will be featured in a digital landscape installation in Portugal. The work is “2 Days in the Tank,” by Assistant Professor of Music William Price, D.M.A. It will be part of a sound installation titled “Sound Walk / Sound Garden,” which will be held at the Goethe-Institut Garden in Lisbon as part of the 2012 Música Viva Festival. Price’s work was selected from an open call for electroacoustic works to composers around the world.
Patrons decked out in formal wear, a gourmet dinner, and a flow of monetary contributions annually help to sustain an orchestra that is thriving musically on a relatively meager budget. This year’s affair, hosted by Kelly and Lee Styslinger, brought in $686,985.
The UAB Trumpet Ensemble performed the past Spring at the prestigious International Trumpet Guild Conference, which was held May 23-26, 2012 at Columbus State University. The ensemble is directed by UAB Department of Music faculty James Zingara, D.M.A., and Steve Roberts, D.M.A.
["Pianomen," at the Virginia Samford Theatre in Birmingham through April 29; 251-1206; Review gets four out of five stars.]
“Pianomen” really isn’t a play. It’s not theater.
It’s more like a chance for a guy to sit down at the piano, tell us a few stories about his life and, mainly, sing the songs of Billy Joel, Elton John, Barry Manilow and others while three of his friends sing back-up.
Thank goodness that guy is Lonnie Parsons, one of the most talented guys around when it comes to playing the piano and singing. And it doesn’t hurt that his talented trio of friends is made up of Kristi Tingle Higginbotham, Jan D. Hunter and Amy Johnson.
- UAB Jazz Ensemble and Music Tech Major Micah Braxton Winners at Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame Festival
- Yakov Kasman 2012 Recipient of the Ireland Award
- Yakov Kasman on Jury for Busoni International Piano Competition in Italy
- UAB Students Win at Annual NATS Competition
- Songs of England, Austria, France, and Russia featured in Concert by UAB's Paul Mosteller, baritone, and Yakov Kasman, piano
- UAB Music Tech Major Kevin Peek Wins 1st Place at Regional Kennedy Center Competition
- UAB Gospel Choir Director's Song Gives Sixteenth Street's Smallest Victims a Voice
- UAB Music Major Ralph Marion Loses Home In Devastating Tornado
- Fall in Love with Jazz with UAB's Steve Robert's CD, Let's Fall In Love
- Iron Giant (UAB Alum and Student Percussion Quartet) Performs Ku-Ka-Ilimoku
- UAB's Kasman to Perform in France with Orchestre Lamoureux
- UAB’s Panion to Speak on Next Generation of Musicians at NAMM
- New Work for String Orchestra by UAB’s Price to Have World Premiere
- UAB Opera program honored by National Opera Association