Congratulations are in order to music technology major Kevin Peek for winning 1st Place in Region IV of the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) in the category of sound design. Kevin, along with fellow UAB theater major Natalie Kinsaul, composed original music and sound effects for Bertolt Brecht’s “The Caucasian Chalk Circle,” presented by Theatre UAB in October 2011. Both will go to the national KCACTF festival in Washington, D.C., in April. As a music tech major, Kevin is a member of the department’s Computer Music Ensemble and is a recipient of the Stevie Wonder Music Technology Scholarship, offered through the department.
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- After Sept. 15, 1963, the four girls killed in the bombing of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church were suspended in time and memory, never to grow up.
Kevin Turner, director of the UAB Gospel Choir, wanted to give them back their voice. He wrote a song imagining the girls as grown women, singing about what they might have become.
When UAB senior music major Ralph Marion went to bed on Sunday, January 22, 2012 he never imagined having to go through a devastating tornado that literally would rip his family's home from around them. Ralph, a former UAB drum major, parents Ronald and Bethanne, and brother Ryan were able to walk out of the basement of their three-level home miraculously without a scratch. Their home, however, including the cars, furniture, and clothing, didn’t fare as well.
- Fall in Love with Jazz with UAB's Steve Robert's CD, Let's Fall In Love
- Iron Giant (UAB Alum and Student Percussion Quartet) Performs Ku-Ka-Ilimoku
- UAB's Kasman to Perform in France with Orchestre Lamoureux
- UAB’s Panion to Speak on Next Generation of Musicians at NAMM
- New Work for String Orchestra by UAB’s Price to Have World Premiere
- UAB Opera program honored by National Opera Association
- The UAB Marching Blazers' Exhibition Show at the 2011 Hoover Invitational Marching Band Festival
- Brian Kittredge, Upcoming Events