Admission into the physics graduate program is by recommendation of the graduate admission committee of the Department of Physics. The committee takes into consideration the following:
- an undergraduate degree in physics or a related field,
- prior academic performance in physics courses,
- verbal and quantitative scores on the GRE General Test,
- a personal statement of career goals,
- prior research experience,and
- and letters of evaluation.
ApplicationThe UAB Graduate School uses a Web-based application process (click here) for all graduate programs including the Physics Graduate Program. Please note that US citizens and permanent residents who apply to the physics Ph.D. programs at UAB are exempted from the application fee requirement.
- Timeline for Enrollment: Each semester
- Deadline for All Application Materials to be in the Graduate School Office: Six weeks before semester begins. Please note that applications for students entering in the Fall semester are reviewed as early as February for consideration of assistantships and other financial support in the Fall.
- Number of Evaluation Letters Required: Three
- Entrance Tests: GRE (TOEFL and TWE also required for international applicants whose native language is not English.)
- Comments: GRE General Test is required; in addition, subject test is recommended
- Graduate Catalog: Program description and course descriptions are available in the UAB Graduate Catalog
Questions?For detailed information, contact:
Dr. Mary Ellen Zvanut
UAB Department of Physics, CH 384
530 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170