The Doctoral Dissertation
The dissertation process is as follows:
- formation of the dissertation committee
- oral defense of a written dissertation research proposal
- completion of the final draft of the dissertation
- successful oral defense of the completed dissertation
- submission of the completed manuscript to the Graduate School
- final awarding of the PhD degree.
In consultation with faculty, and near the completion of all substantive coursework, a student forms a dissertation committee consisting of at least five members, with two from outside the Department of Sociology. This committee will be responsible for guiding the research process, evaluating the final draft of the dissertation, and presiding over the oral defenses of the dissertation proposal and the completed manuscript.