The mission of Clinical Translation is to bring innovative therapies to the patients we serve. We will accomplish this by developing and continually enhancing clinical and operational excellence in clinical trials conducted at UAB, so as to be nationally competitive for participation in new studies.
UAB strives to provide, support and direct the implementation of cutting-edge human subject research. By promoting clinical research, the CTO will help the UAB community meet its mission goals of excellence in patient care, education, research and community service. We are committed to providing world-class patient care with innovative therapies to treat disease, promote health and wellness, and provide opportunities for patient participation in clinical research. As an academic medical center, it is our responsibility to participate in research that leads to new discoveries and advances the art and science of medicine for future generations.
- UAB researchers and research teams, assisting with study start-up, implementation and administration.
- Patients and the general public, providing opportunities for study participation.
- Sponsors, helping them identify UAB investigators for participation in their research.
Clinical Translation works in close coordination with UAB Research and Economic Development, and the CCTS provides support and guidance to the development and implementation of the mission statement and is based on national trends. The key trends identified are enhancing institutional clinical trial offices that strengthen site performance assessment, strengthen the ability to identify and enroll a sufficient number of subjects, and elevating the scientific review of investigator-initiated studies.
The mission addresses these four programmatic tasks:
1. Establish performance standards to meet and exceed national standards
2. Design and maintain an educated and knowledgeable workforce
- Ensure that all UAB research personnel involved with the conduct of human subjects research are trained on GCPs
- Develop and provide programs to meet the nationally recognized research competencies related to clinical research
3. Support the implementation of scientifically reproducible research
- Implement scientific reviews for all investigators-initiated studies
4. Expand and implement services to support rigorous implementation
- Implement a quality assurance program for clinical research
- Support services from study coordinator, research nurse, regulatory, administrative, etc.
- Regulatory support for clinicaltrials.gov registration and results reporting
- Support and guidance for IND/IDE applications and management
- Serve as the point of contact for questions and issues related to clinical trials
- Assist research, staff, and departments with clinical trial project development
CCTS Research Seminar Series:
WHEN: 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month from noon to 1pm
WHERE: CCTS - PCAMS Building (1924 7th Avenue South)
Directed by Penny Jester, co-director, UAB Clinical Trials Office
You also have the option to join this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: www.gotomeeting.com
You can also dial in using your phone. United States: +1 267-507-0008
Access Code: 930-891-813
To access videos of recent seminars on our YouTube channel.
Seminar topics will be of interest and relevance to clinical research personnel including investigators, regulatory personnel, study coordinators and financial administrators. The goal of this program is to fill any gaps in information related to the implementation of clinical trials that have been identified by investigators and their research teams.