UAB researchers and staff can access a Sample Grant Library (BlazerID required) of successful T32 applications, made possible by award recipients who have generously shared their work. You may use the selected samples to guide your work in drafting:
- Research Training Program Plan
- Institutional Commitment to Training
- Recruitment and Retention Plan to Enhance Diversity
Additional Resources for T32 Training Grant Directors:
Responsible Conduct of Research
Our Responsible Conduct of Research page includes information on faculty refresher training plus a sample document describing Principles of Scientific Integrity (GRD717) according to the required NIH format. See also the library of successful T32 applications for examples.
Individual Development Plans
An independent development plan (IDP) can facilitate dialogue between mentor and postdocs to plan goals for training. The NIH mandates the use of an individual development plan for all NIH-funded graduate students and postdoctoral researchers by October 2014. Go to our mentoring page for more resources >
Informatics and Big Data Training
Training programs should include training in big data and informatics. The NIH Data and Informatics Working Group recommended in its December 2012 report that adequate training in the quantitative skills to handle big data be required for future NRSA training grants (institutional and individual fellowships). In order to equip future biomedical researchers to access, organize, analyze and integrate biomedical big data, training may be needed in disciplines including computational biology, biostatistics, bioinformatics and the quantitative sciences.
Genetics and Genomics Journal Club is Tuesday at 10am in the Finley Conference Center; open to all UAB faculty, post-docs, students, and staff.
The CCTS has partnered with the Heflin Center for Genomic Sciences to develop educational resources in genetics and genomics in order to enhance investigator understanding of the opportunities to incorporate genomic sciences into their research.
Investigator and Research Development Resources
- Project Panels
- Training Interdisciplinary Emerging Research Scholars
- Lab Management, Grantwriting and Job Skills — Office of Postdoctoral Education courses
- Evaluation and Social Network Analysis — Show you know how your training program is working.
- Core Resources and Capacities
- Information for Grant Submissions — Office of Postdoctoral Education
- Data Tables — Data tables are a required part of all T32 applications. NIH guidance on developing tables is available. The UAB Graduate School provides T32 prep support for (draft) data table content. Lead-time is required; contact GBS Data Support Specialist, Savitha Memula.
- Advance Notice: NIH Anticipates Transition to New Research Training Data Table Formats in FY 2016 (NOT-OD-15-112)
- NIH Instructions, Forms, FAQs:
- View NIH Forms and the SF424 Guide, including supplemental guidelines for NRSA (including T32) applications. The standard due dates for Ts are January, May and September 25th. Use this schedule as a guide to plan ahead — begin to prepare four to six months ahead of the deadline.
- The T-Kiosk is a one-stop place for all T-related program announcements as well as general policy announcements that affect training grants.
- Check the individual NIH Institutes and Centers for institute-specific policies and requirements for T32s, and suggested formats for the information to be included in the program plan. Programmatic contacts for each institute are listed at the end of the T32 Parent Program Announcement. The NIH posts a list of Frequently Asked Questions - NRSA Research Training Grants. A number of the individual institutes have created FAQs that have general applicability, including NHLBI, NIAID, NIDDK and NINDS.
- eRA Commons account: Need to apply for one or make a change to your role? Click here to view the form.