UAB Gospel ChoirUAB Gospel Choir wins "Song of the Year" for "Don't Ask My Neighbors" at the 7th Annual Alabama People's Choice Awards Ceremony on February 2nd!!
The UAB Gospel Choir is a music performance class/ensemble in the Department of Music. Under the direction of the Rev. Kevin Turner, It performs traditional and contemporary American Gospel Music with an emphasis on music related to the Civil Rights era. The Birmingham City Schools include its Gospel Anthology (I & II) productions and historical presentations in their curriculum for Black History Month. The UAB Gospel Choir 2013 U.S. Spring tour to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and its May 2013 tour to the U.S. Virgin Islands will commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement with authentic reproductions of protest songs, dance/mimes, and with CD & DVD recordings.
- Various performances related to Black History Month
- Birmingham City Schools curriculum includes the UAB Gospel Choir's (1st) Gospel Anthology "Africa to America & beyond"
- Spring Tour during Spring Break: Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi
- 11/22 Spring Concert: Local release of Nu-Soul City CD/DVD, plus a focus on the 50th Anniv of Civil Rights Movement
- 11/23 National Release of Nu-Soul City live recording
- U.S. Virgin Islands Tour 5-16 through 5-20. Performances at local venues, the main university on St. Thomas island, houses of worship.
- 9/14 Four Little Girls Commemoration - Event being hosted by the living sisters of the girls that perished at the 16th St Baptist Church Bombing
- 9/21 Assisting with "A More Convenient Season," the 75-minute work by composer Yotam Haber.
- 18th Anniversary Concert/Production presenting Gospel Anthology III: Evolution