Guidance on Gifts and Gift-Giving
The Alabama Ethics Law has recently been revised to delete any reference to “seasonal” gift-giving and to define “de minimis value.” A public employee may receive items or services of de minimis value as long as there is no requirement that the employee do something or otherwise reciprocate as a condition of receiving them. In other words, a de minimis item or service must be a gift. The statute defines “de minimis” as a value of $25 or less per occasion with an aggregate of $50 or less in a calendar year from a single provider. For more information, visit the Alabama Ethics Law page on the University Compliance Office website.
UAB is committed to conducting its affairs in ways that promote mutual trust and public confidence. All members of the UAB community are expected to sustain the highest ethical standards in all activities and interactions and to integrate UAB values of integrity, respect, service, and collaboration into teaching, research, patient care, and business services.
Renamed in 2010, the University Compliance Office manages UAB's Compliance Program, which serves as the framework for identifying areas of risk, addressing concerns, and measuring results. Specific benefits of UAB's Compliance Program include:
- Enhancing coordination, consistency, efficiency, and effectiveness by providing an institutional perspective of the University's specific compliance assurance activities
- Reducing risks of non-compliance, as well as potential penalties, by meeting the Federal Sentencing Guidelines' criteria for an effective compliance program
- Providing continuous management advisory services and support regarding compliance assurance activities, using a risk-based approach
- Providing a consolidated resource for compliance information and guidance for the UAB community
- Conducting compliance reviews and recommending plans for improving internal controls, like policies, procedures, processes, or actions
- Supporting the UAB Ethics Hotline for the reporting of ethical concerns
University Compliance Office staff are eager to help departments, programs, and other community members enhance UAB's strong ethical culture. Please contact us for more information on how we can help you reach your goals.