Will L. Tarver, MPH, MLIS
Cancer Prevention and Control Trainee
Department: Health Care Organization & Policy
Primary Mentor: Eta Berner, EdD
Secondary Mentor: Nir Menachemi, PhD
Originally from Tuskegee, AL, Will Tarver received his B.A. in Communication from Columbus State University in 2005. He completed his Master of Public Health (MPH) and Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS) at the University of South Florida in 2008. In 2010, he enrolled in the Doctor of Public Health Program in UAB’s Department of Health Care Organization & Policy and began as a trainee in the CPCTP in 2012. Mr. Tarver’s research interests include cancer health disparities, health information technology (and HIT’s potential to improve cancer outcomes), cancer health literacy, internet research, and community-engaged research.
Selected Conferences Attended
- Tarver, W. L., Malcolm, S. D., & Sodeke, S.O. (Poster Presenter) (2012, January). Community consultation in cancer health disparities research: A systematic review.Poster presented at the Tuskegee University National Center for Bioethics in Research and Health Care’s “First Bioethics Conference on Cancer Health Disparities Research: Celebrating Scholars Ethically Working toward Reducing Cancer Health Disparities.” Tuskegee, AL.
- Thomas, K. B., Simpson, S. L., Tarver, W. L., Gwede, C. K. (Poster Presenter)(2009, March). Is social support from family associated with PSA testing? An exploratory analysis using the Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS) 2005. Poster session presented at Moffitt Cancer Center 2009 Scientific Retreat “New Approaches, New Partners.” Tampa, FL.
- Thomas-Purcell, K.B., Tarver, W.L., Coulter, M., Baldwin, J., Gwede, C. K. Rules for concealing and revealing: An explanatory model of colorectal cancer disease disclosure among an African-American patient population. Journal of Family Medicine & Community Health. In press.
- Gwede, C. K., William, C. M., Thomas, K. B., Tarver, W. L., Quinn, G. P., Vadaparampil, S. T., . . . Meade, C. D. (2010). Exploring disparities and variability in perceptions and self-reported colorectal cancer screening among three ethnic subgroups of U.S. Blacks. Oncology Nursing Forum, 37(5), 581-91.
- Gwede, C. K., Jean-Francois, E., Quinn, G. P., Wilson, S., Tarver, W. L., Thomas, K. B., . . . Meade, C. D.· (2011). Perceptions of colorectal cancer among three ethnic subgroups of U.S. Blacks:· A qualitative study.· Journal of the National Medical Association, 103(8), 669-680.
- Thomas, K. B., Simpson, S. L., Tarver, W. L., & Gwede, C. K.· (2010). Is social support from family associated with PSAtesting in a sample of men? An exploratory analysis using the Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS) 2005.· American Journal of Men’s Health, 4(1), 50-59.