The Equity Leadership Council (ELC) is established to promote diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of the University. The overarching goal of having a diverse University community is to better educate our students, and employees to be active, informed, productive participants in a diverse society and interdependent world. Comprised of members from across all academic and administrative support divisions of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, The Equity Leadership Council serves as an advisory council to the Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer. Comprised of students, faculty, and staff from UAB enterprise, the ELC works to help UAB achieve its goals of promoting diversity and institutionalizing equity and inclusion as core values.
UAB is a diverse community, people here bring with them not only their connections to social and ethnic groups but also their individual life experiences. From students to patients to faculty to support staff, ours is a rich and vibrant community.
But that diversity means little without equity and inclusion as the anchor of our shared experiences. We see equity and inclusion as active, thoughtful, and ongoing engagement with each other. When inclusion works, we better understand the people around us, better understand the complex ways that individuals interact within systems and institutions, and ultimately we can do our best work.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham is dedicated to the world of ideas and that world expands exponentially as those with different experiences and points of view share their knowledge and interpretations with one another. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion reflect both a recognition of the past and the promise of the future, something owed to everyone in the UAB community.
The Council meets regularly during each academic year. Equity Advisors have a central role in raising awareness, promoting understanding, diversity education, and monitoring the faculty and staff search and other hiring processes, and consultation on matters of equity. Equity Advisors leverage their direct experience with local culture to advise their deans regarding strategy, policy, diversity education, climate and accountability. Although Equity Advisors report directly to their deans, they also work closely with and provide invaluable advice to the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Serve as the liaison to the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
- Serve as a resource for faculty and staff recruitment for the dean or director and department chairs in the school or unit as a non-voting member, collect and maintain information on faculty and staff vacancies, including tenure decisions and promotions, review all recruitment advertisement before they are published, and certify that all recruitment policies and procedures have been followed for each recruitment activity by signing the Faculty and Staff Recruitment Experience Report.
- Collaborate with constituents of the University to revise/adopt recommendations of the strategic diversity plan, serve as a resource to foster knowledge and understanding of diversity-related issues concerning social justice, discrimination and bias, promote diversity in recruitment, hiring and retention of faculty, staff, and students, maintain data on climate issues.
- Collect and maintain information on recruitment and retention of faculty, staff and students. The Council will provide updates and an annual report to the University community on aspects of diversity progress (as noted in the Diversity Strategic Plan).
- Attend monthly meetings each semester.
- Actively participate on at least one DEI sub-committee.
- Infuse/engage DEI initiatives within respective areas.
- Promote DEI programs and initiatives by serving as an advocate.
- Solicit productive internal and external alliances to support and advance equity and inclusion at UAB.
Administrative Director for UAB Women & Infants Services
Development, Alumni and External Relations
It Project Manager II-Ent
School of Optometry
UABSO Personnel Manager