The Orthodontic Clinic is located on the Third floor of the School of Dentistry where we provide correction for teeth and jaws that are crowded, misaligned, or otherwise positioned incorrectly. Services include treatment for cleft palate and temporomandibular (jaw) joint disorders, as well as Orthognathic (jaw) surgery.
Become a Patient
What to Bring:
- If the patient to be evaluated is a minor (18 or under) a parent or legal guardian needs to accompany the patient on the initial visit. Also, once treatment is decided on then the parent or legal must come into the clinic to sign the treatment consent document and any other needed documents before treatment can be started.
- At your first appointment you start by completing registration forms (See Download Registration and Patient Forms below). We ask that you arrive to the clinic 15 minutes before your appointment time to complete registration. Printing the forms at home, reading the forms ahead of time, filling them out (but don’t sign until you get to the clinic as an orthodontic staff member will need to witness signatures) and bringing them with you should improve the process for you and save all concerned time.
What to Expect:
- Allow time for parking. Because we are part of a large medical center you may need extra time to find parking close to our building, which is located on 7th Avenue South between 19th and 20th Streets.
- You will be seen by a resident dentist supervised by a faculty member. An exam and X-rays maybe taken on the first appointment. This is the time to discuss your orthodontic needs and concerns. Orthodontic records, including models, special x-rays, and photos of the teeth and face are needed to make a proper diagnosis and the best treatment plan for each patient. Usually by the end of the second appointment, most patients will have a treatment plan and be ready to start treatment.
- If you are an adult patient and bring a child with you who is not the patient, please be sure to have another adult who can watch your child while you are being treated. For safety reasons, we are not allowed to watch children who are left unattended.
Download Registration and Patient Forms
Registration and Patient forms can be downloaded here, printed and filled out prior to your appointment. Note - do not sign forms until you arrive. One of the staff members must witness the signature.
Hours of Operation
The patient hours are usually 9:30 am – 12 noon and 1:30-4pm. The Orthodontic Clinic is open 8am-12 noon and 1-5pm. This may vary slightly seasonally, with time changes, or departmental reasons.
Location, Directions and Parking
UAB Dentistry is located at 1919 7th Avenue South between 19th and 20th Streets South.
Take the 4th Avenue South exit (#259-B). Stay on 4th Avenue South to 19th Street South. Turn right onto 19th Street South, go three blocks to 7th Avenue South. Turn left onto 7th Avenue South.
Take the University Blvd. exit, also known as 8th Avenue South. Follow 8th Avenue South to 19th Street South. Turn left onto 19th Street South. Go one block and turn right onto 7th Avenue South.
From Hwy. 280, Elton B. Stephens Expressway, and Red Mountain Expressway
Take the 8th Avenue South exit, also known as University Boulevard. Merge right onto 8th Avenue South. Follow 8th Avenue South to 20th Street South and turn right onto 20th Street South. Take 20th Street South to 7th Avenue South and turn left onto 7th Avenue South.
Take the Carraway Blvd. exit. Follow the ramp onto Hwy 31/280. Take the 8th Avenue South exit. At the end of the exit, turn right onto 8th Avenue South and follow 8th Avenue South to 19th Street South. Turn right onto 19th Street South. Go one block and turn right onto 7th Avenue South.
Parking is limited at UAB and at UAB Dentistry. Fees are the patient’s responsibility and are subject to change. Parking is available in the following areas:
– Front of Dental School on 7th Ave South:
- Diagonal street parking on South side of 7th Avenue South
- 7:00 am to 7:00 pm for patients with appointment only
- Pre-pay at kiosk in Dental School lobby
- Handicapped parking is available
- Cost is $2 for 1st hour, $1 for each additional hour up to 4 hours
- Credit card or coins needed; machine does not accept dollar bills
- Number of spaces = 14 including 2 handicapped
- $100 fine for parking in these spaces without receipt displayed on dashboard
- Citations can be appealed online or in person at the UAB Parking Office at 608 8th Street South.
– Visitor Parking Deck #3:
- Located on University Boulevard (next to the Doubletree Hotel) between 19th Street and 20th Street South
- Enter from University Boulevard
- Handicapped parking available
- $2 for the 1st hour; $1 each additional hour
- $6 maximum daily rate
- Pay at exit
– Metered parking on 19th Street
– Lot #51:
- Thirty minute metered spaces located off 20th St. So. Between UAB Administration Building and Sitar’s Restaurant
- Enter from University Boulevard between 20th Street South and Richard Arrington Boulevard (21st Street South)
- Number of spaces = 4