The Midsouth Reading and Writing Institute hosted approximately 400 participants. Next year's conference will mark the 25th year for the conference.
2013 Conference presenters included:
- Maureen McLaughlin, IRA President 2013
- Brenda Overturf, President of Literacy Perspectives
- Janiel Wagstaff, Literacy Specialist and Author of Numerous Professional Books on Reading and Writing
- Fran Perkins, Consultant and Presenter on Leadership and Literacy Development
- Tammy Jones, Vice President of Curriculum and Instruction at Benchmark Education Company
- Pam Munoz Ryan, Author of Best-Selling, Award-Winning Children's Books
- Robert Wortman, Presenter on Literacy and Learning
- Rick Shelton, Author and Writing Guru
Drs. Christensen, Kohler, Aldridge, and Kilgo presented at the American Educational Research Association on "Faces of Poverty Related to Children's Identity: Dr. Mamie Phipps Clark, Working toward Equality".Drs. Christensen, Kohler, Aldridge, and Kilgo presented at the American Educational Research Association on "Faces of Poverty Related to Children's Identity: Dr. Mamie Phipps Clark, Working toward Equality".
Drs. Christensen, Kohler, and Kirkland attended the Publication Committee meeting of the Association for Childhood Education International.Drs. Christensen, Kohler, and Kirkland attended the Publication Committee meeting of the Association for Childhood Education International.
Corilyn Ott, an Early Childhood Education Ph.D doctoral student, presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting.Corilyn Ott, an ECE Ph.D. doctoral student, along with Drs. Ivankova and Snyder, presented at the American Educational Research Association on "Do I Belong? Developing Social Belonging in Children Who Are Homeless: A Multi-Case Study".
Follow the Office of Student Services on Facebook.The School of Education Office of Student Services (OSS) now has a Facebook page. Stay up-to-date on OSS announcements by following them. https://www.facebook.com/uabschoolofeducationofficeofstudentservices
C & I faculty and students present at 2013 Urban Sites Network Conference.C & I was well represented at the 2013 Urban Sites Network Conference. Presentations from the department included:
- Sharon Abrams, ECE Doctoral Student-Roundtable Leader
- Drs. Lois Christensen and Tondra Loder-Jackson-The Civil Rights Movement Pre-Conference Session
- Drs. Tonya Perry and Bruce McComiskey-Common Core State Standards Pre-Conference Session
- Jennifer Summerlin-"The Modern Day Slave Trade: Potential Uses of Powerful Literary Pieces in Understanding and Promoting Social Acceptance in the 21st Century Classroom Community"
- Terry Harbison, Calvin Woodruff, Anne Kreider, Laura Ashley Missildine, & Tia Rutledge, Graduate Students from UAB-"A Place for Young Adult Literature: A Beginning Teacher's Perspective"
- Jasmine Clisby, Katie Mullinax, Katie Tibbett, Tiffany Ellis, Denise Ingram, and Laura Ashley Missildine-"Implementing Differentiation in the Secondary School Classroom
- Jeremiah Clabough, Susan Seay, & Nefertari Yancie-"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword: Writing Activities with Issues of Social Justice"
Dr. Grace Jepkemboi has been elected to the Association for Childhood Education International Board of Directors as Member at Large
Dr. Grace Jepkemboi has been elected to the Association for Childhood Education International Board of Directors as Member at Large. Dr. Jepkemboi is an assistant professor in Early Childhood Education in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction. She also began the Kenya Heritage Foundation, a non-profit organization targeting families and children in Kenya effected by HIV/AIDS.
Dr. Kay Emfinger received the 2013 Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching for the School of Education.Dr. Kay Emfinger received the 2013 Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching for the School of Education.
- Dr. Jerry Aldridge, Professor Emeritus in Early Childhood Education will be the incoming chair of the World OMEP Meeting in Washington, D.C.
- June 20-21: The Department of C&I is co-sponsoring the MidSouth Reading and Writing Institute.
- The Children's Creative Learning Center is taking registrations for the 2013 summer enrichment program at Shades Mountain Elementary School.
- Dr. Kay Emfinger spoke at the United Nations NGO Committee on the Family on April 18 on "Issues Related to LBGT Families".