Our UAB Arts Education Program will prepare you for a career as a music or visual arts teacher in the P-12 schools. Our instructors are nationally and internationally renowned teacher educators, scholars, performers, and artists who are active in their respective fields. The UAB Department of Music has the distinction of being Alabama’s first All Steinway School and offers courses such as music theory and basic and advanced conducting. The UAB Department of Art and Art History is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and has studio courses in ceramics, drawing, painting, new media, photography, graphic design, sculpture, and printmaking.
- Alternative Masters Degree - Music Education: Choral (42-45 Credit Hours)
- Alternative Masters Degree - Music Education: Instrumental (42-45 Credit Hours)
- Traditional Masters Degree - Music Education: Choral (32-35 Credit Hours)
- Traditional Masters Degree - Music Education: Instrumental (32-35 Credit Hours)
- Traditional Masters Degree - Visual Arts (31-34 Credit Hours)
- Educational Specialist Degree - Teacher Leadership (31-34 Credit Hours)– For visual arts students only.
Are you a music major without a teaching license?
If you have a bachelor’s degree in music, but you lack a teaching certificate, enroll in our UAB Alternative Master’s Degree Program in Music Education to earn a master's degree along with Class A certification in choral or instrumental music education. Learn more details in the AMP Information Packet.
Have Questions? Contact Us.
Susan Spezzini, PhD
By Phone: 205-934-8357
You might also be interested in
- Early Childhood and Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Teacher Leadership Program