The UAB Early Childhood and Elementary Education programs will prepare you for a career as a highly qualified preschool, kindergarten, or elementary school teacher. You will learn theories on child development, developmental reading, primary math methods, teaching pedagogy, classroom management, and other concepts and skills that are critical for your success as a classroom teacher. And you will learn it all from instructors who are nationally renowned in their fields.
For your convenience, we offer Saturday and summer classes. We also provide some courses online as well as blended courses that include both online and on-campus class sessions.
Find out what we are all about. Call us for an appointment to sit in on a class, and you will discover why so many talented students like you choose UAB.
- Early Childhood & Elementary Education (125-129 hours)
- 2+2 Early Childhood Education Program with Jefferson State Community College (122 hours)
- Early Childhood Non-Certification Option (120 hours)
- Alternative Masters of Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education (49-58 hours)
- Traditional Masters of Education - Early Childhood (31-34 hours)
- Traditional Masters of Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education (31-34 hours)
- Traditional Masters of Education - Elementary Education (31-34 hours)
- Educational Specialist - Early Childhood Education (31-34 hours)
- Educational Specialist - Elementary Education (31-34 hours)
- Doctor of Philosophy - Early Childhood Education
Want to switch careers to become a teacher?
The Alternative Masters Program (AMP) is designed for professionals seeking certification in education. You can take courses in subject areas such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, English language arts, general science and general social science. Once you complete the AMP, you will earn an alternative Class A certification in your specific teaching field. Learn more details in the AMP Information Packet.
UAB Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree in Early Childhood Education
Our UAB Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree Program will prepare you for a career as a scholar or researcher in early childhood education or for work as an administrator in a public, civil, or academic institution. The PhD coursework includes research design, statistical methods, Piaget, child development and more. Review the Early Childhood Education Ph.D. Policy Handbook for more details.
Which Teacher Education Program is right for you?
Teacher certifications are issued at a few different levels and correspond to specific degree options here at UAB. Learn more about these certification levels and find out which degree program is right for you.
Have Questions? Contact Us.
For the Undergraduate (non-certification) Degree, Master of Arts Degree, or the Educational Specialist Degree, contact:
Kay Emfinger, PhD
By Phone: 205-934-7003
For the Undergraduate (certification) Degree or the Alternative Master’s Program (AMP), contact:
Katherine B. Scott, EdS
By Phone: 205-934-8359
For the PhD Program, contact:
James Ernest, PhD
By Phone: 205-934-8360